good additive for months long piston soak....

I'm pprobably gonna swap my 22R for a 7MGE engine in my '87 Toyota truck in about 6 months. The engine is sitting in my garage. What's a good piston soak additive that can stay in the cylinder for months?

Kreen is good, if it's still the same product. I think Kano Labs has been bought.

HPL oil being ester and with alkylated napathenes would do fine.

If you're going to be doing this for a period of months, I would guess most any solvent type liquid or penetrating oil would do the job. The key to most all of these "soak treatments" is time. You're giving it plenty of that.

Regardless if it's threads on a frozen bolt, or gunked and carboned up piston rings. Just be sure to keep reapplying it. The wetter the affected area stays, the better. And the longer it stays wet the better.

I've used acetone and ATF for week long soaks. Just top it up when the level drops. Change the oil when done. Worked well in an older Corolla.

Paco

In my past life of Saturn ownership may years ago, the Saturn Forum had (from what I remember) good success with MMO Piston Soaks for oil consumption on the 1.9L DOHC and the SOHC engines. They would even use Auto-RX, KREEN, or Seafoam / B12 for really bad cases.

Back