Gonna try M1 Truck & SUV in my 8.1 gasser

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Stewart Fan:
There are very few UOAs done on the 8.1 liter gas engines from GM. All the UOAs have been on M1 10-30 IIRC. Although my truck calls for a 5-30/10-30,I'm going to try the 5-40 M1,and post a UOA in a few months. I don't see an issue with the higher viscosity. A COLD winter night around here is 25-30* Fer. The average overnight lows are around 40*.

Do you see any reason not to try it?

Nope...in fact, I strongly recommend that you run a 40-weight in that engine!

Stewart:

Is your Vortec 8.1 one of those infamous oil burners? In that case, the Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W-40 (Same as Delvac 1 for commercial trucks) will HELP a lot.

I know in my commercial equipment, oil consumption decreases around 50% on average.

I will also be switching my truck to M1 T&S in April or so. If Holden in Australlia can run LS1's with xW-40 and xW-50 oils no problem, with MUCH lower oil consumption, we can too.

FWIW: here is the difference viscosity makes in my 2000 GMC Sierra with Vortec 5.3 V8:

Mobil 1 0W-30 1 quart every 4,200 miles
Mobil 1 5W-30 1 quart every 4,800 miles
Mobil 1 10W-30 1 quart every 6,800 miles

I don't think there will be any negative fuel economy hit. I used to have a 1992 Honda Prelude SR that I bought new.

In summer of '94 (Or was it '96??) I put in Delvac 1 5W-40 before a very long road trip. I went to Lost Wages Nevada, then visited some relatives in Santa Rosa CA, then down to LA, then across the South to Disney World , back across the South to I-35, then North to home.

There was NO difference in fuel economy. The motor seemed a little quieter and smoother. Not an oil burner to begin with, there was a DRAMATIC difference in oil use: 15,000km on the oil and the level was down about 2mm on the stick.

Jerry

I wouldn't call it an oil burner. It does use some oil,usually about 1/2 qt. in 3500 miles. I don't consider that unreasonable,because I work my truck alot. I tow our boat almost every weekend,and then our travel trailer the times I'm not towing our boat.

There are very few UOAs done on the 8.1 liter gas engines from GM. All the UOAs have been on M1 10-30 IIRC. Although my truck calls for a 5-30/10-30,I'm going to try the 5-40 M1,and post a UOA in a few months. I don't see an issue with the higher viscosity. A COLD winter night around here is 25-30* Fer. The average overnight lows are around 40*.

Do you see any reason not to try it?

Here is the results of my 8.1 L Avalanche

First 6000 miles on dino 5w30---no burn at all

Changed to Castrol syntec 5w50--burned 1qt/300 miles

Castrol syntec 10w30--1qt / 600 miles

Tech 2000 10w30--- 1qt / 800 miles

back to Dino 5w30--no oil burn at all

Now on GM oil burn watch--rather embarrassinng no burn

Figure that one fellas!??

Clare

Status
Not open for further replies.