Gonna run Valvoline White Bottle in the Summers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with the great deal I scored at Walmart (as posted in the deals section)

I will be running Valvoline White Bottle in the summers and Amsoil in the winters for cold flow quiet lifters.

I'm confident that it's a darn good Dino oil that will serve me well in moderate to hot summer temps.

I was thinking about a 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI changing the Amsoil EAO oil filter every second change...

I have 16 jugs of the stuff and might go back and get more.
LOL.gif

Thoughts?

Since your running two OCIs per year - I'd say you're in great shape. But if you were extending those OCIs, then I'd want a consistent chemistry established in the engine. But with your setup, Valvoline in the summers is the schnizzle.

I do more than 2 OC's on the Santa Fe in a year, as I'm heavy on the mileage for my job averaging about 3750KM/mo (2344 Miles).

I just was saying that I will use VWB in the summer when cold-flow isn't a requirement and Amsoil in the cooler weather.

On the negative side - you may have fallen into a trap that many BITOGrs have lived to tell about. It's called "stockpile regret". There's the thrill of saving some $$ and making the purchase. But next week someone on BITOG is going to spin a tale of lubricity excellence from brand X, and then the BITOGsphere is going to get it's oil in a foam over brand X, and you're sitting there with 3 yrs worth of brand Y.

I'm not one to buy into speculation... I use what I think will get the job done properly at a fair price, and with this deal on VWB I think I hit a good deal for my engine.

In the summer I think Syn is overkill for my engine and driving conditions, but the winter I feel it is superior.

I hear you though and most people would fall into that trap!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
That will work. You can use Valvoline in the summer and the Amsoil can clean it out in the winter.
grin2.gif

LOL.gif

I think the Valvoline Premium is a top conventional oil. I don't think any conventional oil can/will give better engine protection.

I would be concerned about a 6000 mile OCI. Valvoline does not recommend this. Valvoline just reformulated this oil in February of 2009. The calcium has been lowered to 1620 and the sodium lowered to 470 to give a Sulfated Ash of .80. The new TBN is also 7.5. This is just something I would consider before going to a long 6000 mile OCI.

Had a fine 4k UOA with it. Going 5k this time as recommended. Still have one of the 5.5 jugs of 5w30, used next. And, a very rare 5w20 Wally jug used somewhere down the line. It was a good buy last summer, now it's at least a buck a jug higher than the other(PYB,QS,MC5k,GTX,MC5w20) conventionals at my local Wally's.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I think the Valvoline Premium is a top conventional oil. I don't think any conventional oil can/will give better engine protection.

I would be concerned about a 6000 mile OCI. Valvoline does not recommend this. Valvoline just reformulated this oil in February of 2009. The calcium has been lowered to 1620 and the sodium lowered to 470 to give a Sulfated Ash of .80. The new TBN is also 7.5. This is just something I would consider before going to a long 6000 mile OCI.

Maybe I will do a UOA after one 5K KM (3K Mile) run and see where the numbers stand. I won't dump the oil, I will just sample and top-up and keep driving and then dump based on the UOA.

I've decided to go back to Walmart today and pickup some more. I think the price up here can't be beat, it's a great product that will do me fine in the summer and it's SM rated which is good because I hear some nasty changes are coming without our engines in mind regarding SN/GF-5 oils... So I would like to have a good stock of "off the shelf" SM/GF-4 oil.

Amsoil doesn't concern me because they aren't API certified on most of their oils and keep the "protection" up versus worrying about catalytic converters etc...

Good choice bro! I had Valvoline 20W50 white bottle and/or VR1 20W50 in my car last winter. It dropped down to the lower 30s here for a few days...........first cold startups of the day with that oil even in those freezing temps were whisper silent! Synths always gave me lifter-clicky cold weather startups,whether it was 10W30,15W50 or 20W50. I`ve been torn lately between Valvoline white bottle and Pennzoil yellow bottle. I`ll probably put the Mobil 1 15W50 thats in my stash in my girlfriend`s Olds when her car`s oci comes up.

Uh oh Stevie,has the contagious BITOG oil-stash bug gotten ahold of you? It`s slowly reeling me in :^)

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Didn't you just pick up three jugs of TDT for running in the summer?
Yeah, the Amsoil in the engine now will do me until almost the end of summer, then I will put more Amsoil in a couple of times to get me through the fall/winter and then next summer season I will run the TDT to test it, and then switch over the the Valvoline. I know I'm nuts... but I love oil!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Good choice bro! I had Valvoline 20W50 white bottle and/or VR1 20W50 in my car last winter. It dropped down to the lower 30s here for a few days...........first cold startups of the day with that oil even in those freezing temps were whisper silent! Synths always gave me lifter-clicky cold weather startups,whether it was 10W30,15W50 or 20W50. I`ve been torn lately between Valvoline white bottle and Pennzoil yellow bottle. I`ll probably put the Mobil 1 15W50 thats in my stash in my girlfriend`s Olds when her car`s oci comes up.

Uh oh Stevie,has the contagious BITOG oil-stash bug gotten ahold of you? It`s slowly reeling me in :^)

I will try the 5w30 VWB in the cooler temps but if it causes lifter tick like other dino's or dino based Syns then it's back to Amsoil for me.

My dad thinks I'm nuts... He sees all this oil in "my section" of the garage surrounding my Austin Mini and he just shakes his head.

I'm definitely infected with the disease!
LOL.gif
Wouldn't have it any other way...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I will try the 5w30 VWB in the cooler temps but if it causes lifter tick like other dino's or dino based Syns then it's back to Amsoil for me.

My dad thinks I'm nuts... He sees all this oil in "my section" of the garage surrounding my Austin Mini and he just shakes his head.

I'm definitely infected with the disease!
LOL.gif
Wouldn't have it any other way...
thumbsup2.gif

^^Haha! That`s awesome!!!!!!! One night I got my two cases of oil,the jugs,and half quarts that I have and I brought them into the living room and made this sort`ve a pyramid with them just to pizz my girlfriend off,haha! I couldn`t resist
grin2.gif

What is the special deal on Valvoline at WalMart?

At my Walmart Mobil Clean 5000 is cheaper than Valvoline and I know MC5000 works good in my car.

You are in the US, in Canada $10.88 for 5 litres of brand name stuff is a very good deal.

MC5K is way more expensive than this up here...

MC5K is $11.00 at my WalMart for 5qt. Valvoline is $12.00.

$10.88 CAD or USD? $10.88 CAD is a good deal.

According to XE.com,
10.88 CAD
=
9.43541 USD

nice.

16 jugs and you want more? Man you are addicted!

Don't they have oil sales and specials up there like they do here?

I would always be afraid they would change the formula of the oils and something better would come along and then I would be stuck with all that oil.

If you are putting on alot of miles why aren't you running long OCI oil all the time? You love changing oil StevieC or what?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
MC5K is $11.00 at my WalMart for 5qt. Valvoline is $12.00.

$10.88 CAD or USD? $10.88 CAD is a good deal.

According to XE.com,
10.88 CAD
=
9.43541 USD

nice.

$$$ was in CAD. So $9.44 US, but we get screwed a bit so it would most likely be less that $8 if they ran the deal down there... Go Canada! NOT!
08.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
16 jugs and you want more? Man you are addicted!

Don't they have oil sales and specials up there like they do here?

Not as often or as good as we see our American friends get!
smirk2.gif
So sad...

I would always be afraid they would change the formula of the oils and something better would come along and then I would be stuck with all that oil.

From the SN/GF-5 spec's I see coming out, no thank you... I will stick with SM rated "off the shelf" oil or Amsoil non licensed additive supreme oils.
20.gif

If you are putting on alot of miles why aren't you running long OCI oil all the time? You love changing oil StevieC or what?

I do get a joy out of changing my oil, I also have the cost covered by my work through the mileage they pay me so I run the oil just long enough to make it worth while and then dump it. Long OCI's are great, but nothing tops fresh oil more frequently IMO!
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back