Gonna purchase new tires,,,now. advise help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
07 nissan titan, Le,4 WD. 265/70 R18. I don't do any trail or 4 wheeling, may be doing some light driving on the surf,(surf fishing). I asked earlier about tires for surf. Since then, was looking at all season tires, the cooper evolution HT (141.99 ea.), continental cross contact LX 20 (158.99ea) and if I was to purchase a all terrain, I was also looking at the cooper discoverer A/AT (159.99 ea)from reading they're a quiet and comfortable tire on the highway also. But driving on soft sand may not be good with cooper discoverer or ok. I'm leaning toward the cooper evolution. Prices are from tirebuyer, but submitted the prices to DTD, so I'll see if they match the prices. Any advice or help is appreciated, whether positive or negative. My price range is as you see. Thanks.

I take the best price off of the web into my local DT and they do their best to make it happen. All things considered, they keep winning my business.

At your price point, try these they've gotten good reviews:

Tires.

Sand? As mentioned, airing down is more important than tread design. If you're mostly on-road except for sand, then a street tire will work well for you.

Last edited:
Just checked the ebay store, basically the same as online store. I do understand the letting the air out, to about 15 lbs., and being steady, Delaware beaches have soft sand. Just want to purchase a good set(4) tires. Will wait for reply from DTD reply, they have cooper evolution @ 633.40, tirebuyer 567.96 w I think 100.00 prepaid card.

me too and looking at getting those for my 2012 Tundra Crewmax.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Cooper evolution ht is what I would choose from the 3 u mentioned

Bigger is better. +1 or +2 on the tires size will help a lot. Air down to 12~15 psi and be ready to go a bit lower (~10) if you have to. But at 12 you should be able to go about anywhere.

I have 100's of miles of soft beach driving doing erosion surveys for CA State Parks. Ran +2 tires whenever I could get the auto-inspector to allow it. Tread means very little. We used to drive around on the rear axle and just engage 4x4 when things got dicey or we hit a real soft spot ... But on my own Big Bronco, I run 4x4 all the time on the beach.

Highway tires work just fine. It's all about the contact patch and that is made with soft sidewall (flex bulge) and low pressure.

Just keep the speed down to

Have decided,,,Continental Terrain Contact AT, a last minute decision. Just a gut feeling.

Done, order 4 @ 165.93 (663.72), with 70.00 continental rebate card,, 100.00 rebate card (best), and decided to open an new account(50.00), if right, 220.00 in rebate cards. I read up on these tires, continental terrain contact a/t, 265/70 r18, alot of good was said and I liked the combination for road and light terrain, even though I am mostly blacktop/concrete driver, just don't know being down the shore with soft shoulders and soft pull offs. Also, quiet and comfortable stood out for me, that was important.

Originally Posted By: 07titan
Have decided,,,Continental Terrain Contact AT, a last minute decision. Just a gut feeling.

Based on reviews online seems like a solid choice. The tire really looks more of a highway/AT hybrid than a true all terrain. Nothing wrong with that.

Keep us posted.

Michelin Defender. I took my sled surf fishing on the Outer Banks in that thick, fine sand. I let the air out down to 16 psi out of habit, but I'm pretty sure that I could have stopped at 25 psi and been fine. It's a great tire. Pricey to acquire, but over the long run it will be no more expensive than any other tire because of the long life. I have 35,0000 miles on mine and they hardly look worn. The winter time traction is excellent, much better than the A/T that Michelin puts out.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Bigger is better. +1 or +2 on the tires size will help a lot. Air down to 12~15 psi and be ready to go a bit lower (~10) if you have to. But at 12 you should be able to go about anywhere.

I have 100's of miles of soft beach driving doing erosion surveys for CA State Parks. Ran +2 tires whenever I could get the auto-inspector to allow it. Tread means very little. We used to drive around on the rear axle and just engage 4x4 when things got dicey or we hit a real soft spot ... But on my own Big Bronco, I run 4x4 all the time on the beach.

Highway tires work just fine. It's all about the contact patch and that is made with soft sidewall (flex bulge) and low pressure.

Just keep the speed down to

Agree … lots of sand experience too (and the skin cancer to go with it) … I run a P285 17 on my Canyon … going that size I just leave the 35 lbs and go places others get stuck … the round shouldered Firestone AT has been great for me … but it’s not a rock crawling tire like some of the Coopers …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back