Golf 3 1.9 tdi AFN 81kw engine oil specification

Hello everyone, I was just reading my golf 3 service manual where VW recommends 505 00 specification for Engine oil but that was in 1996. my engine(81kw AFN) was rebuild totally so what I'm wobdering can oil spec like 505 01 or 507 00 make any damage on the engine and can you damage older engines by sipping in more modern oil specs especially in those engines that are rebuild

I would go to the TDI club (member here):

"What oil do I use?" READ FIRST BEFORE ASKING | TDIClub Forums

This being said, the newer 507 approvals are more designed to protect the (very fragile) emission control systems and have limits on Phosphorus and Zinc at about 800ppm, a CK diesel oil generally has these anti wear additives in the 1000-1200 ppm concentrations.

For what it is worth, I owned a 1998 vw Jetta with the AHU engine (virtually identical) and I used a CJ 15w40 year round, the engine had 290, 000 miles on it when it was sold (original turbo, cam etc.)

If it was my car I would use a synthetic CK diesel oil , change it every 5000 miles and the engine would last forever. The club members seem to like Rotella products. In theory you could stretch the OCI out to 10000 miles but oil is cheap and engines are expensive

Shell Rotella® T6 15W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil | Shell ROTELLA®

Back