Golden Spectro 85-150 Cartridge Fork Oil - voa and uoa

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a VOA and UOA both up now for viewing.

http://unruhly.net/sunruh/uoa.d/

very very interesting results from 35 hours of use.

Iron is probably from the shims. however, this value is HUGE!
Lead and Copper are probably from the piston ring. these values are also pretty darn high.

I never thought doing a UOA on shock oil, but I guess it is a good idea on how the oil held up. Do you think you should change it out earlier since the wear metals are high? You race hare scrambles right? I would not want to see a sample of mine after 35 hours of racing motocross. Thanks, it is nice to see how the oil performed.

Harley,
these results have made me more curious than ever before about shock oil performance.
yes, i race hare scrambles, gncc and enduros.
exactly! i think MX/SX is gonna beat up the oil even more so than what i do.
i was as shocked as much by how well the viscostiy held up as i am by the wear metals. this oil did not look visably nasty to the eye. sure, it was a tad bit dark, but not anywhere close to what i've seen some pour out.

I get suckered into doing some of my buddies forks and shocks every so often and get to see some nasty oil come out. When I was hardcore into racing I usually did my forks and shock once a month and even then I could tell a degration in performance. A couple times I even tried a 20wt oil in my forks but it was too harsh on top. Fork and shock oil in bikes are like power steering and brake fluid in cars, often over-looked. The only thing that I ever replaced was shims in forks and that probably wasn't oil related. MX/SX really overheats the oil in a short time.

i just got this info from a suspension guy:

"The wear bands on the shock piston are copper impregnated PTFE so that's probably where that came from."

This summer I changed my friends fork oil, it was original from the factory.... '97 CR250 I would have like to see a uoa on that stuff!

kzoo,
how nasty did it look coming out?

how did the inner chamber oil compare to the outer chamber?

i bet the outer looked like coffee sludge.

I don't know what wt. came stock in a '97 CR250 but it was definitely a lot thinner than the **** that came out of his forks... Overall, the oil was some sort of brown but it was VERY thick, much thicker than a 20wt. Inner chamber/outer chamber who knows I just got sick of listen to him complain about how bad his forks were... Incidentally, that was the first time, in 10 years, the air was bled off of the forks as well... I think we poked a hole in the ozone!

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Kal-gard used to give the best bushing life by far, last time I tried to buy some they weren't making it?

I think They are back in bussiness now.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
where is all of the iron coming from?

The spring.
In a cartridge,or for that matter any modern bike fork,the suspension spring is in the fork tube.As the fork moves, the spring rubs on the inside of the tube.Traxxion and others use a polymer internal guide in their springs to reduce this wear.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
kzoo,
how nasty did it look coming out?

how did the inner chamber oil compare to the outer chamber?

i bet the outer looked like coffee sludge.

Would a '97 CR250 have dual chamber forks?

Originally Posted By: sunruh
both of you are way off in the weeds.

the oil was in a shock, not a fork!

and 6 years late!!!

Wow kinda got sucked in by the title, and didn't look at the date. I was commenting on a '97 CR250 NOT having dual chamber forks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back