Gold Plug or Mag on the Oil Filter???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone comment with some knowledge or research on the topic of whether the Gold Plug is more or less effective, compared to a magnet on the oil filter?

I suppose for a cartridge filter, like on my Ram EcoDiesel...the Gold Plug is the answer, but what about rigs with the standard, exterior filter?

I also wonder about UOA's from drivers that have a magnetic plug...vs....those that don't. Wouldn't that skew the FE amounts of wear on the report?

Why not have both? I have the filter mag and you can look up pictures of plenty of people cutting them open, they are catching particles for sure, whether or not the media would have trapped them is up for debate.

I had a UOA done with a filter mag, but iron was high, due to silicon contamination from a damaged air filter. I wondered if the iron would have been even higher if the filter mag wasn't on there. It was 32 ppm iron on a 6k mile run in my buick.

I will cut open my Fram Ultra with filter mag, when it hits the right mileage, but at this right that won't be until the end of 2015, (currently have 6k on filter, running 15k+ on filter with average of 5-7k miles per year)

Also here's a cool page with full filter pics.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1101dp_million_mile_diesel_filtration/photo_07.html

1101dp_07_o%2B1101dp_million_mile_diesel_filtration%2Bcat_filtermag.jpg

I suggest only using a Gold Plug.

After many OCIs of seeing the fine Iron paste and wiping off and getting used to what a "normal amount" is would be beneficial.

If one oil change you see a lot more Iron that is "abnormal" it could give you the first clues of a problem.

Also, if you use a new oil and it gives you more or less iron on the plug could also let you know what your engine likes most.

I think it just gives more of a layman's indicator of engine health more than just minutely (possibly) increasing engine longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back