going with the green elixer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after a lot of searching(this site) and investigation I am going to change to GC,the green elixer of life..Love that analogy.
grin.gif
I stopped by a local autozone and they got a rack full and yes I checked at least 12 bottles.They want 4.79 a quart,is that a decent price??? I've only seen one price posted at 4.99...Should I clean them out???? Gonna try it in my 03 5.3 and the wife's 03 3.8..I can't wait...I se delco filters are these adequate or should I move up to better filter???? Thanks in advance for your comments...

quote:

Originally posted by Bambam:
Well after a lot of searching(this site) and investigation I am going to change to GC,the green elixer of life..Love that analogy.
grin.gif
I stopped by a local autozone and they got a rack full and yes I checked at least 12 bottles.They want 4.79 a quart,is that a decent price??? I've only seen one price posted at 4.99...Should I clean them out???? Gonna try it in my 03 5.3 and the wife's 03 3.8..I can't wait...I se delco filters are these adequate or should I move up to better filter???? Thanks in advance for your comments...

Bambam,

$4.79 is the standard price I have been seeing around here, but even at that price SLX is a b-a-r-g-a-i-n...just ask our European members. Every once and awhile Castrol does a special promotion (e.g. buy 5 qts get the 6th free). Can you get your hands on Purolator Pure 1s...I would go with that.

PS You forgot "truth," you know as in the Elixer of Life, Love, Lubricity and Truth...it's important.
wink.gif

Hey guys. I haven't been able to find any documentation in english on SLX longtec. I am a GC user also, and would just like to do some reading up on this stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Bambam:
Well it's done,the elixer of life,love,lubricity and truth is now pulsing through my beloved truck...I must say the smell is true heaven and maybe someone will come up with a GC air freshner...
tongue.gif
...Please read my comments in a post titled GC and piston slap....Let me know what you think...Thanks..

p.s. I cleaned out my local autozone of 23 quarts and the bottle swere dusty which has me wondering if they are gonna restock...I'm nervous already..LOL...I NEED THE FIX....
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bb,

Your wise purchase should have generated an automatic demand on the AZ supply system. The question is "What will they ship...SLX or the 'local brew'"...both fall under the same UPN...there is always hope!
grin.gif

lol.gif
We can only hope it's not the usa brew but,the sweet sweet nectar from across the sea....
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

From what I've learned it is a high end 30,dang near 40... The home brew is over priced fair/mediocre synthetic with a lot of better oils out there for the same money...

quote:

Originally posted by kickster:
watery 0W30.
frown.gif

kickster,

Truly that was not kind...fortunately your fellow Torontoan, the Patster, does not share your viewpoint.
wink.gif

PS By the way, and for the record, it is not actually watery; it is a delightfully robust yet lubricitous and free-flowing nectar-like consistency whose parallel can only be found in the goblets on Mount Olympus!
grin.gif

quote:

too bad it only comes in watery 0W30.
frown.gif

How bad are the American made syntec?

It's not a watery thin oil though. In reality this oil is more like a 0w40. And it's viscosity at 40C is similar to many 5w and 10w oils out there, and it's viscosity at 100C is almost a 40wt. In fact in my old Firebird it would thicken up to a 40wt by the end of the interval.

It has shown excellent oil analysis results so far.

i hope you have better luck with it in the 5.3 than i did in my 6.0. also a friend used it a 4.8 he has in his silverado. 1 day and he started getting lifter noise at idle when warm. and thats the same resault i have had. it just does not seem like a good combo for some reason. i believe that these engines get air in the oil pump when at idle. the deale replaced an o-ring in my oil pump pickup tube. - did not help. the only synthetic i have found that does not affect engine noise to badly is mobil delvac1. but my engine is still noiser at idle than with 5w30 chevron dino. also gm-enginering is going to try a differnt type oil pump and pickup in my engine. you can bet i will try the green stuff again just to see if it really helped. good luck.

Well it's done,the elixer of life,love,lubricity and truth is now pulsing through my beloved truck...I must say the smell is true heaven and maybe someone will come up with a GC air freshner...
tongue.gif
...Please read my comments in a post titled GC and piston slap....Let me know what you think...Thanks..

p.s. I cleaned out my local autozone of 23 quarts and the bottle swere dusty which has me wondering if they are gonna restock...I'm nervous already..LOL...I NEED THE FIX....
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ August 07, 2004, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Bambam ]

I put GC in my 98 Corvette yesterday (LS1 motor) and it seems to like it. I'll know more this morning when I fire it up cold though. But it sounded nice and smooth yesterday.

quote:

too bad it only comes in watery 0W30.
frown.gif

How bad are the American made syntec?

Not to pile on, but this oil does show up at the heavier end of the 30 wt range when hot, and on the subjective side, it's not at all "watery" when you pour it out of the bottle. In fact, when I first poured it, I found myself thinking, "is this really a 0w oil???"

quote:

Originally posted by eddyzima:
i hope you have better luck with it in the 5.3 than i did in my 6.0. also a friend used it a 4.8 he has in his silverado. 1 day and he started getting lifter noise at idle when warm. and thats the same resault i have had. it just does not seem like a good combo for some reason. i believe that these engines get air in the oil pump when at idle. the deale replaced an o-ring in my oil pump pickup tube. - did not help. the only synthetic i have found that does not affect engine noise to badly is mobil delvac1. but my engine is still noiser at idle than with 5w30 chevron dino. also gm-enginering is going to try a differnt type oil pump and pickup in my engine. you can bet i will try the green stuff again just to see if it really helped. good luck.

So far so good...Noise I experienced is gone after I slid around underneath and found the e brake cable rubbing against a guide..Put a piece of rubber hose on and noise gone..Engine is quiet after @ 150 miles,eally did some riding today...What year trucks had the noisey engines if I may ask.???

[/QUOTE]So far so good...Noise I experienced is gone after I slid around underneath and found the e brake cable rubbing against a guide..Put a piece of rubber hose on and noise gone..Engine is quiet after @ 150 miles,eally did some riding today...What year trucks had the noisey engines if I may ask.??? [/QB][/QUOTE]

See, GC is such wonderful stuff that it can even fix your noisy ebrake.

I stopped at my local AutoZone last week, No green German stuff, just plain USA.

How can I get that Green GC, Shall I ask the clerk for special order???

Winter55

quote:

my truck is a 2002 and my friends 4.8 is a 2003.

eddy,first off bambam and sewerman are the same person,I'm sewerman at work computer and bambam on my home computer...I don't know how the heck I managed this dual personality but,if someone can let me know how to fix it I would appreciate it...
pat.gif

Now to the matter at hand,I've never had lifter noise in this truck and have used,M1 5w30,M1 0w30,RP 5w30 and Rp 10w30 all no noise whatsoever..Longest OCI is 6k...GC will be in for 6k and then gonna sample....Not to say you don"t know what you are talking about but, could the noise you were hearing be the injectors...I've read where alot of people were confusing the two sounds..Just a thought.....

quote:

Originally posted by sewerman:

quote:

my truck is a 2002 and my friends 4.8 is a 2003.

eddy,first off bambam and sewerman are the same person,I'm sewerman at work computer and bambam on my home computer...I don't know how the heck I managed this dual personality but,if someone can let me know how to fix it I would appreciate it...
pat.gif

Now to the matter at hand,I've never had lifter noise in this truck and have used,M1 5w30,M1 0w30,RP 5w30 and Rp 10w30 all no noise whatsoever..Longest OCI is 6k...GC will be in for 6k and then gonna sample....Not to say you don"t know what you are talking about but, could the noise you were hearing be the injectors...I've read where alot of people were confusing the two sounds..Just a thought.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back