Going with Syntec 0w-30 in my '06 RSX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, it's just as much as case of using up my stash as it is a "good decision".

The fact of the matter is:

I expect very little, if any hit in mpg or performance.

I just used some 12cSt Delo 30 as a flush oil, for comparison it's smooth...a lil less revvy.
It's mid-summer...this is not a permanent oil for this car, just a temporary fill to try it out.

I will be using it next summer in the wife's CRV, fwiw. I hesitated to use it in winter for that vehicle, thus I put it in mine for summer instead.

I'll chime back in to report mpg after a tank or two...I expect no change.

fwiw, Castrol UK indicates Edge 0w-30 (an A3 oil?) and GTX Magnatec 10w-40
for my car.

So, if not now, mid-summer...when? GC will give me a good long oci, not too thick on SUMMER warm-up...why not?

PS looking at Castrol.uk again, it DOES indicate a 0w-20 oil and pretty much every other oil below a 50 weight...

Engine: 40°C, 0W-20 40°C, 0W-30 40°C, 0W-40 40°C, 5W-30 40°C, 5W-40 -20°C to >40°C, 10W-30 -20°C to >40°C, 10W-40 -15°C to >40°C, 15W-40

Ive found syntec 0w-30 a bit thick at startup in my chevy truck with an old fashioned 4.3! whereas every 5w-30 Ive run has had identical (54 psi) startup pressure, hot and cold ambient conditions, since new... syntec 0w-30, as good as I think it is, might be a bit too high (60). Of course the gauge may notbe correct, but it is consistent, and so the increase is consistent.

I dont know if this is good or bad, and I doubt you have an oil pressure gauge, but you might need to watch for pressure that is too high?!? *note the question marks - I may be completely wrong in thinking this.

JMH

Day One:
lol. I'm liking it more now than yeaterday's first drive on the GC. I think maybe people equate quieter with less power??? It is quieter and silky smooth. I get good power, maybe even a better overall power delivery as I am more willing to rev it now that it's less raspy. I am more aware of the warm-up and the engine is indeed "feeling" the thickness when cool. After warm-up, it is much better than I expected. I'm doing 3.5 months/9000mi on this fill and won't go back to GC until I have no more Mobil 1 left. Overall, in hot weather, I would recommend this oil, even in a Base car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back