Going with conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been a believer in synthetics, but after lurking around on this site, I'm slowly coming to realize that conventionals aren't so bad. I've been using synthetic in my 08 Wrangler (3.8v6) since I bought it new, but I've been experimenting with different brands and weights attempting to atleast mask the lifter tick that chrysler wont do anything about. First change I tryed PP 5w-20, and it didn't make a difference. Next was Syntec 5w-20, and it seemed to help a little, but near the end of the OCI, it got louder. Next up was Q.S. Torque Power 5w-30. This quieted it down as much or more than the Castrol, and seemed to last longer. Finally, I'm running RTS 5w-40 in it now, and surprisingly, it hasn't seemed to make a difference. I know my engine calls for 5w-20, but I've seen others on here run thicker oils in their engines with good results. I havn't noticed any fuel mileage decrease or a noticeable decrease in power, so I figure it can't be hurting much. Anyways, I have a case of GC to use up yet in the colder months, but I think after that, I might just switch to conventional and save myself some money. I've heard these engines are fairly easy on oil and the factory already recommends up to a 6000mile OCI on conventional, so I figure it can't be all that bad. I was using synthetic in it cause I do a lot of city miles, offroad with it alot, and it usually doesn't run below 195 on the coolant temp gauge in the summer. What do you guys think? Sorry for the lengthy post.

I think you are moving the right direction. A conventional 5W20 or 5W30 might fix you right up. I am a lover of synthetics and use them in everything. But they do seem to run noisier than the conventional oils do. So give it a try and if you have been using a Fram filter you might try another brand like STP, Wal-Mart, or Puralator.

I have had the opposite experience... My Santa Fe ticked like crazy with anything but synthetic. Then in the cooler months it would tick with any synthetic except M1 or Amsoil.

After running synths and dinos,I`m going dino from now on. After my last run with RP,I`ll be using Pennzoil yellow bottle and Valvoline white bottle......my two faves :^)

Those are very good oils... If I could run them without engine noise I too would run Dino and perhaps Syn only in the cold winter weather...
grin2.gif

cheers3.gif

I try to stay away from the Fram filters. I was using either Amsoil EOA filters or Purolator Pureone filters. This time I used a Motorcraft FL400S. Does anyone think I'm hurting it any by using the RTS 5w-40 in it? I know for a fact that these engines used to be spec'd for a 5w-30 in the minivans, and I'm sure the switched to 5w-20 primarily for better EPA ratings. I think if I did more highway driving and could extend the OCI's more, I'd stick with synthetic, but with all the short trips I run, I feel my nerve running it past 6,000miles, sometimes even 5,000.

synthetic can be had for 3$ a quart, so i run 50/50 mix
5w30 synthetic with 5w30 conventional in summer, and 5w20 conventional in winter.

I like 10w-30 conventional. PZYB or Havoline. You might want to try some German Syntec, for kicks.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I like 10w-30 conventional. PZYB or Havoline. You might want to try some German Syntec, for kicks.

+1

I run whatever is on sale in this engine. With a bikini top and road noise I didn't even know my 2008 wrangler could have a lifter tick. I believe in running factory spec 5 w20 and I am currently running quaker state Green bottle 5w20 in it, next OCI I will use the 11 buck a 5 quart jug QS torque powere 10w30. I will them probably go back to whatever cheap 5w20 I can find. I am more concerned with getting some better gears and trussing my axles with the wrangler though. The best thing that could happen is a 3.8 failure so I could cram a v8 into it. (unfortunately I can't neglect or abuse the engine so a failure is unlikely.)

I also run the fls 400 filter in this engine

Last edited:
Your mechanical problem may be masked somewhat by a thicker/thinner oil, but it won't add metal to what is missing.
Like you mentioned, keep the oil a bit thinner in the winter than the 5-40.

I understand theres no way to fix the problem, other than physically replacing the noisy lifter, I was just looking to quiet it down a bit. It doesn't affect performance or fuel mileage, so I'm not to worried about it actually causing damage.
I have a case of GC to use up, so I'll be switching to that in the fall, I was just thinking of switching to conventional after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back