Going up from 101H to 105V (235/55 R19 OEM to Michelin Cross Climate 2) 2020 Honda CR-V Touring

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
Time for new all-season tires before the winter on the CR-V.

I'm split between Michelin Cross Contact 2's and Bridgestone Weatherpeaks because the CC2 is available in a higher load / speed rating of 105V and the Bridgestone in 101H.

101H is the correct rating on the tire sticker.

Would there be a noticeable difference in going up to 105V from 101H?

I'm concerned a higher speed and load rating will result in rougher ride and worse weather performance than with a 101H rated tire, maybe even increased tread wear?

Michelin couldn't give this tire an "A" traction grading? I use them and have little good to say about them. And, I am a Michelin fanboy.

UTQG: 640 B A

traction-grading.jpg

Traction markings indicate how well a tire will perform in wet conditions. The traction rating can be AA, A, B or C. AA is the highest level of wet traction and C is the lowest. The table below shows the wet traction coefficient on two different surfaces.

It's depend on rubber compound, vehicle weight, driving style, ROADS surface, tire pressure, too many factors.
We went to W tire - General G-MAX AS-05 and it's wearing very well for 500 AA A tire. The tire isn't too soft or hard, great grip, smooth and quiet, pleasure to drive.
Get the tires you like and enjoy.

Michelin couldn't give this tire an "A" traction grading? I use them and have little good to say about them. And, I am a Michelin fanboy.

View attachment 121848

Traction markings indicate how well a tire will perform in wet conditions. The traction rating can be AA, A, B or C. AA is the highest level of wet traction and C is the lowest. The table below shows the wet traction coefficient on two different surfaces.
I think I read that the traction ratings only apply to locked tires. Irrelevant with ABS.

What triggers the ABS? lack of traction ??? Or, the inability/skillset of a panicked or clueless driver that needs said technology to function.

I don't see it as irrelevant. Threshold braking is a skill you should learn to avoid using ABS to begin with. I often go years without even knowing my car has ABS. And, this includes many years with ABS in blizzard conditions and downpours. My A and AA tires were noticeably better than my crossclimate2's.

I haven't heard anyone say anything poor about the Cross Climate 2's. On this forum and reviews from all over the web everyone is raving about them. What do you not like about the CC2?

If I understand this correctly, an AA tire will be softer and grippier than a C Tire, which would have a harder / less deformable compound?

I think I read that the traction ratings only apply to locked tires. Irrelevant with ABS.

"The Traction grade, or traction rating, as they are commonly called, is based on the coefficient of friction of a locked (skidding) tire in a straight line on a wet surface. It doesn't evaluate any dry performance, cornering of any sort, or hydroplaning resistance.

The test tires are simply pulled on a "skid trailer" at 40mph over wet asphalt and concrete test surfaces. The brakes are momentarily locked, and sensors measure the coefficient of friction as the tire skids.

A tire that is on the verge of lockup but still rotating will generate a different coefficient of friction than the same tire if it is skidding. Since the vast majority of vehicles on the road today have anti-lock brakes, tire manufacturers design their products to work more effectively with these systems, as opposed to at full lockup. Because of this, the Traction rating isn't as real-world applicable today as it was when the test was designed. Even so, the traction coefficients and their corresponding grades are in the chart below:"

Interesting point.

The main advantage of the Weatherpeak over the CrossClimate is that the Weatherpeak is non-directional, whereas the CC is directional.

Otherwise, almost everybody who has the CC2 seems to like them.

The speed rating alone won't make much of a difference. If you want a better ride, get smaller wheels and tires with bigger sidewalls :)

The main advantage of the Weatherpeak over the CrossClimate is that the Weatherpeak is non-directional, whereas the CC is directional.

Otherwise, almost everybody who has the CC2 seems to like them.

The speed rating alone won't make much of a difference. If you want a better ride, get smaller wheels and tires with bigger sidewalls :)
Sidewalls these days be too 🤏
My spine can't handle the ride of much less than a 50 aspect tire on broken up NYC streets
ties onion to belt, takes Tylenol for back pain 👴

Sidewalls these days be too 🤏
My spine can't handle the ride of much less than a 50 aspect tire on broken up NYC streets
ties onion to belt, takes Tylenol for back pain 👴
I've driven on the Belt Parkway a few times when I was there for a wedding.

Driving in NYC and the Belt is like the kung-fu of driving. Narrow lanes, people throwing bottles at each other from their car windows, if a police car has to get through everyone tailgates him as a shortcut through traffic. It was intense, oh and GPS doesn't work too well in between the sky scrapers, we were detoured through Times square in error, but that was fun nevertheless.

IMO many OE tyre choices are for looks, aka the trend for harder riding "rubber band" tyres prone to damage from potholes!! i remember reading many specs like tyre wear are set BY THE MANUFACTURER!!! like drugs said to be safe + DONT work + even BUT KILL many while making it to market. they too are tested by the manufacturer!!

Both are good brands. im comparing CC2s to the Bridgestone potenza 980 A/S they replaced. Bridgestone was a quieter tire, boring tread, did everything well. we have two sets of Bridgestone touring all seasons in the family and both are top notch. The CC2’s have been uniquely suited to combatting wet weather wheelspin in our CRV, something no other tire has handled, including destination LE2, whatever was oem, and a set of BFGs. The CC2 is super quiet on the CRv, yet louder on the Lexus. I don’t quite understand why. The CC2 tread design, if you are super-finnicky, isn’t as dialed in for razor-true tracking. That said, we have 2 sets - her CRV and my Lexus GS, and have no regrets.

I’ve bought more Bridgestone tires than any other, and they always are consistent in quality. They also consistently have perhaps average snow traction in their category, and decent wet traction when new, and typically from my experience harden past effective rain traction at the halfway point in their life. I’ve replaced a couple of sets early in trucks and switched brands trying to find something that keeps wet grip longer.

Would there be a noticeable difference in going up to 105V from 101H?

I'm concerned a higher speed and load rating will result in rougher ride and worse weather performance than with a 101H rated tire, maybe even increased tread wear?
So here's the thing. None of your concerns are affected by the speed rating and the load Index.

Further, you have an OE tire, and those are designed to the vehicle manufacturer's specs, which might be completely different than what the tire manufacturer would do if left to their own devices.

Ergo, you have no frame of reference. You'll just have to read the UTQG and customer reviews to see what suits your fancy.

Side note: One of these days, I am going to have to write up a webpage to explain why this is so, because it keeps coming up.

higher load rated tyres ride harder + likely heavier so only use them when needed IMO

Back