Going to try M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know, call it the UOA's, other Honda owners, the commercials, or whatever, I'm going to try Mobil on the wifes 03 V6 Accord. It's got about 40K on it. I've done UOA's on it with the 5W-20's and have really great results, short of the oil shearing down a little more quicker than I'd like. Also the wear numbers are just a tad higher than other V6 Accord owners using M1. Need to keep the car until **** freezes over because I got another kid coming, scratch the Porsche and new boat.....
pat.gif
My question, which Mobil 1 should I use? I'm leaning towards the 5W-30, a little higher than the 5W-20 owners manual suggestion and it's pretty common down here in SW Oklahoma. But, I've read too that the 5W-30 is a "thinner" 30 weight and not much difference than the 20 weight. What about the 0W-20's? Or maybe the 10W-30's??? Right now I'm running 5W-30 dino in it and seems to be fine.

As long as you are going to a 30 wt-which is what I would do. You might as well go with M 1 10W-30 vs the 5W-30 not much difference in normal starting temps and little difference at the 30 wt end. And M 1 is a pretty thin 30 wt. So you are going with a thin 30 wt. vs a thick 20 wt
smile.gif

Roger that. What about the xW's? The 10W you suggest, wouldn't be a little too thick as opposed to a 5W???

I'm about to try Delvac 1 mixed with Mobil 1. I think this will be a nice combo. We shall see.
grin.gif

People have had good results with the new M1 0w20 in new Hondas, it seems, but the M1 0w30 or even 5w30 should work well for your car. I'd stay away from 10wX and Xw40 oils.

One question I'd ask, "Does my car requires an oil with a high HT/HS or a low HT/HS?" Makes a difference on oil choice. Oils with ACEA A3 approval are for high HT/HS; oils with ACEA A5 approval are for low HT/HS.

BTW, did you say it's an '03 with 40K miles on the clock? Did I read that right?

quote:

Where'd ya find Delvac 1 in NJ? I'd like to try some...

I got from a place called Total Lube something...I'll post the number and name tomorrow. It was $21 a gallon. It came in one day via mail. If you call ExxonMobil they will give you the nearest distribution center. I wish D1 was more readily availble in the North East. It seems many people have it at Walmart out in the Midwest. I was told D1 is fully compatible with M1 so I don't have to worry about any additive clashes. Molekule I think also said it would be a good combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back