Going to try M1 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got some M1 T&S 5w40 to try in my '93 3VZ-E, replacing the M1 10w30 I've been using for the past 12K. The truck has used 10w30 for 95% of its life (short stint with 10w40), now @ 130K. I'm eager to see what happens on the short road trip coming up (6-700 miles). Previously, I'd lose about a quart per 1K during highway driving (70-80 MPH). I'm hoping this will lessen with the thicker oil.

Maybe I'm naive, but I hope so! My wife's '91 Previa van with 210K uses less than a quart in 3-4000 miles on 10-40 dino oil.
dunno.gif

High speed/interstate freeway driving uses more oil than city driving. Around town the truck does just fine. M1 10w30 is a very low 30 so I should see a difference.

[ February 22, 2004, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Toy4x4 ]

I use a quart in about 3800 miles driving long trips on the interstate. That is with the same engine as you in the 4-Runner. I would say that the reason you are noticing consumption is the synth is cleaning old deposits since its only been a short while.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 7100 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 83110 Miles. (Switching to GC next)Nope sticking with M1.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
I just got some M1 T&S 5w40 to try in my '93 3VZ-E, replacing the M1 10w30 I've been using for the past 12K. The truck has used 10w30 for 95% of its life (short stint with 10w40), now @ 130K. I'm eager to see what happens on the short road trip coming up (6-700 miles). Previously, I'd lose about a quart per 1K during highway driving (70-80 MPH). I'm hoping this will lessen with the thicker oil.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 claims to reduce oil consumption 40% compared to the "reference" 15W-40 HDEO.

I hope the oil helps you. 1 qt per 1,000 is a bit much.

I used Delvac 1 from new in my 1990 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 V6 and never used more than 1 qt every +8,000 miles at Interstate speeds.

When I moved to Utah for 4 years, I switched to Mobil 1 15W-50 year round and used 1 qt every +10,000 miles during extreme summer heat and high Interstate speeds.

Jerry

As I've previously mentioned, I have switched my Audi 2.8 V6 from M1 0W-40 to M1 5W-40 with great results. The engine is much more quiet and seems to run smoother, too. After 400 miles, I do not notice a decrease in fuel economy, which is still about 27 mpg.

I also recommended this oil to another Audi owner, who has the same motor in his car, and here is what he had to say (on the Audiworld 12v Development Forum) after switching to M1 5W-40:

Results: Fantastic! You have no idea how loud at least one of my lifters were. It would never quiet down at any temperature or any other condition for that matter. My engine is so quiet now compared to what it used to be. It's really unbelievable. I highly recommend it

cool.gif

My butt-dyno can't tell any difference at all. It would take a difference of 7-10 hp to feel a difference.

When is someone doing a VOA on this oil? We don't have any Kragens here in SA, so I guess it will be a little while before I can get my hands on this stuff. I would do a VOA of it if someone sent me a qt.
cool.gif

Last time I checked they were sold out at Kragen!
shocked.gif
At least I bought one quart extra, which will be sufficient to top off till the next oil change. I suppose I could donate a few ounces, if you want to have a VOA done. ;-)
I plan on having a UOA done after maybe 5k miles.

quote:

Originally posted by Pantdino:
Maybe I'm naive, but I hope so! My wife's '91 Previa van with 210K uses less than a quart in 3-4000 miles on 10-40 dino oil.
dunno.gif

The previa is one strong van. We've got one in the family with about 115k miles, still going strong (though some things do need fixing). Using Chevron Supreme 5w30 right now, and hasn't used a drop in 1000 miles. I do like the resivor backup oil thing on the previa...though sometimes it feeds oil when it doesn't need to.

I just finished the change and am adding another liitle trip (going skiing
fruit.gif
)to next week's 6-700 miler so I'll have about a 1000 mile test. I'll see if the LC flush helped, too. LC Flush

Quieter lifters? Yeah, I noticed that too with Delvac 1....must be the better addative (cleaning) package in the diesel oils..

zoomzoom wrote:
quote:

moribundman what is the essential difference between M1 0W-40 and M1 Truck&suv 5W-40? ( I assume that is the one you are using now and not delavac 1?)

The essential difference? My engine is a lot quieter and smoother.
cool.gif

I'm sure someone else can comment better than I can on the specs of both oils.

talked to a Mobil oil rep at a major retailer's store managers annual gathering this past week. When I asked if the Mobil 1 T/S 5w-40 was nothing more than a Marketing repackage of the Delvac 1 5w-40 oil, he only smiled.

I asked him about availability and he said that they are releasing it on the West coast first and then working it toward the East. He said that most major retailers that carry Mobil 1 now, are very interested in carrying the new T/S 5w-40 oil. So I guess that those of us in the Mid West, down South or on the East Coast are just going to have to be patient.

moribundman what is the essential difference between M1 0W-40 and M1 Truck&suv 5W-40? ( I assume that is the one you are using now and not delavac 1?)

Where are you guys getting the M1 5w40??? I'm due for an OC in my Jeep 4.0 and really want to give this stuff a try. I called a couple Autozones here in Grand Rapids, MI and they don't have it, yet alone heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back