Going to rebuild spare transmission

I bought a spare transmission for my mk6 jetta a year ago. (Asin 09G/TF60SN)

Time to actually take it all apart and learn to rebuild it. I left the transmission pan off for a while, the valve body is kind of rusty due to rain, will unrusting it/ cleaning it throughly and then putting in new solenoids/wiring harness in it save the valve body? That is my only question.

IMG_0656.JPG

I would be concerned about water intrusion further into the transmission. Also the valve body is the brains of the transmission so its pretty important its clean and with minimal wear. I think sonnax makes a tool that can help leak test valve bodies. Yes cleaning the valve body may be fine after getting wet from rain. But thats up to you to determine after inspection.

If your mechanical aptitude is such that you removed the pan, looked inside, and said "well that's enough for today" you're not going to enjoy further success with this gearbox.

You have demonstrated here, multiple times, that any advice given is given in vain.

So have fun.
The inside is perfectly pristine, drums and everything. Just the valve body is in need of major work. This is just for fun anyways and experiment.

Back