Going to look at a car tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOD

Transit Connect

I've been looking for a while, but I'm yet to drive one. I'm looking at this as a passenger car to haul stuff. I guess I'll see whether or not I can deal with it as a daily driver. This particular one is equipped they way I want it, and seems like a decent deal. They claim that there are service records available, though none went though Oasis looking at the Carfax. That said, I think this car has a good view through the filler cap, and oil changes are probably the only thing due at this point.

I know, this very well could be the dorkiest "passenger car", well, ever; but I'm all about fuel economy/space ratio, and I think this vehicle wins. Anyone have any direct experience with these?

There's tons of good diesel wagons/crossovers on the used market -- roomy, comfy, and more car like. Did you rule those out?

I think that a Transit would be a pretty neat little van to have.
It is far more functional than any station wagon, and it has a pleasantly utilitarian look.
I will fearlessly predict that the Transit with windows all the way around will be a future cult car.

Well, not going to get into a VW flame war, but the Eurovan sitting in my garage is what's forcing my hand! It runs great, except when it doesn't...and that has been my general experience with 3 other VW products. So, I think we're breaking up for good. That rules out the TDI.

The Freestyle has as much or more useable space than pretty much all of the "crossver" type cars, but I'm getting to a point where I need something with a lower load floor. So, to answer the question I'm sure someone's going to ask, yes, it's because my dogs are getting too old to jump into my car. And they're all only going to get older, and it's only going to get worse.

The other issue with the FS is that it's tall enough that the roof rack is difficult to use. So, if I'm going to have a tall car with a difficult-to-use roof rack, I figure why not go all out.

The other car I've been looking at are E61 wagons, which is the exact opposite of this car. Problem is, it's just too nice for my purposes, and I'd end up worrying about throwing dogs and bikes inside. I like the size and the fact that occasionally you can find them with a MT, and the roof rack is more accessible. If I can't live with how this thing drives, it'll probably be the next choice.

Is that real Corinthian leather?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I think that a Transit would be a pretty neat little van to have.
It is far more functional than any station wagon, and it has a pleasantly utilitarian look.
I will fearlessly predict that the Transit with windows all the way around will be a future cult car.

the interesting bit of that statement, is that they ALL come into the states in full passenger trim, windows, seats & all.
ford has a facility right @ the port, to remove the un-needed bits for the commercial trims, including the windows, and replacing them w/ the steel panels.

the vans are built in Turkey, and imported to the states as passenger wagons, to avoid the 25% "chicken tax" on imported commercial vehicles.

Originally Posted By: JOD
Transit Connect

I've been looking for a while, but I'm yet to drive one. I'm looking at this as a passenger car to haul stuff. I guess I'll see whether or not I can deal with it as a daily driver. This particular one is equipped they way I want it, and seems like a decent deal. They claim that there are service records available, though none went though Oasis looking at the Carfax. That said, I think this car has a good view through the filler cap, and oil changes are probably the only thing due at this point.

I know, this very well could be the dorkiest "passenger car", well, ever; but I'm all about fuel economy/space ratio, and I think this vehicle wins. Anyone have any direct experience with these?

It looks European but dorky in the US. How much stuff do you need to haul?

They have a good reputation for reliability in the UK. Lots of tradesmen and suchlike use them. I am sure the Post Office has started to use them over the last few years.

Never seen a petrol one, there are just a few diesel versions.

A lot of the mechanicals are Focus based.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
grin.gif

HA, you joke, but I'm OK with it. Cloth and dogs don't mix in my book. That said, just looking at the front seats I'm pretty much committed to having to change them at some point. I'm not averse to working on this thing a bit to get it where I want it. At least with these, I could live with the pleather for a while.

Originally Posted By: Donald

It looks European but dorky in the US. How much stuff do you need to haul?

A pretty typical load is 3 people, 6 bikes, some extra wheels ,1 medium-sized dog and a weekend full of stuff for everyone--all of this either in/and on top of the car. Another typical load is 4 people, 4 mountain bikes and two dogs (1 medium, one very large), and a weekend full of stuff. The Freestyle has gotten really full, and it has a lot of space.

I don't like using a hitch rack, because it creates ingress/egress issues into the back of the vehicle. I do it on occasion, but it's a pain.

I also always have 1 or 2 small development projects going at a time as a sideline. Basically rehabbing falling down houses, fixing them up and flipping them. So, it needs to be able to be suitable for dump runs, hauling compressors and saws, etc. I normally leave that stuff at the site, but there's some moving around of stuff I need to do. One strike against the TC is that 4'x8' sheet stock doesn't fit. I've had 4'x12' sheets of drywall on top of my Freestyle; not fun, but doable!

[ One strike against the TC is that 4'x8' sheet stock doesn't fit. I've had 4'x12' sheets of drywall on top of my Freestyle; not fun, but doable!
How about a used Dodge Grand Caravan? You could get two used 3rd or 4th gens for that price and 4x8 sheets fit no problem.

Use one for the family getaways and remove the seats in the other for work.

If those were available in 5 speed manual, I'd probably have one of those instead of a Focus.

They have a lot of leg room for being a "small" van, aren't going to have camber issues in the rear, and are built on a pretty solid platform.

The 4 speed automatic does scare me a bit ... they weren't the greatest in the focuses.

Make sure to change the fluid on it and install a trans cooler.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If those were available in 5 speed manual, I'd probably have one of those instead of a Focus.

They have a lot of leg room for being a "small" van, aren't going to have camber issues in the rear, and are built on a pretty solid platform.

The 4 speed automatic does scare me a bit ... they weren't the greatest in the focuses.

Make sure to change the fluid on it and install a trans cooler.

They don't do the manual in the US.

That is unfortunate as the gearbox is a Focus one and nice and slick.

They do pretty much drive like a Focus albeit a bit harsh due to the load carrying ability.

Focus autobox had a bad reputation in the UK aswell, biggest issue was a non start due to electrical issues.

They come with cloth seats in the UK aswell.

grin.gif

HA, you joke, but I'm OK with it. Cloth and dogs don't mix in my book. That said, just looking at the front seats I'm pretty much committed to having to change them at some point. I'm not averse to working on this thing a bit to get it where I want it. At least with these, I could live with the pleather for a while.

Actually, I think they are a great little vehicle, it just looks like it has typical Ford leather (like my Expedition) hence the joke
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
How about a used Dodge Grand Caravan? You could get two used 3rd or 4th gens for that price and 4x8 sheets fit no problem.

Use one for the family getaways and remove the seats in the other for work.

You know, I've gone back and forth on doing just that. I was considering an older 4 cylinder Odyssey/Oasis for this duty, then keeping the Freestyle. An older Caravan would be a consideration as well. My concern is that I'd end up where I am now-with a second car I'm afraid to drive! I've also though about picking up something like an older Ranger, but that doesn't solve the "arthritic dog" issue.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Originally Posted By: Miller88
If those were available in 5 speed manual.....
thumbsup2.gif

Transit Connect MT Swap

I'm not averse to going that route! Parts are dirt cheap for this car. I've also been watching UW surplus for one with a blown transmission (I've seen Focii for sale that way), channeling my inner eljefino and all--but they're too new. While it may seem like a lot of work, it won't scratch the surface with the lifetime hours and $$ spent chasing electrical gremlins in the VW.

Actually, I think they are a great little vehicle, it just looks like it has typical Ford leather (like my Expedition) hence the joke
smile.gif

Oh, I didn't take it the wrong way--those seats just look bad! It's OK though. These pop up for sale on occasion, and I could live with these no problem. They'll also bolt right in. I don't mind spending the $$ or effort for seats or a better steering wheel. Just like bicycles, it's all about the contact points!

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9053/img6297rt9.jpg

And no, I won't be lowering it, putting on 20" rims or putting on a giant wing... Not really my thing, but whatever. I won't judge the sense of style of others, especially if I'm using this as a daily driver...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back