Going to do a 1 year OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
WEll.....after years of doing very frequent (3-8,000 mile OCI) oil changes, I'm going to leave it in for a year. I changed it last April with some Amsoil 5-30 (Signature Series) and have about 8,500 miles on the oil now. I did change the oil filter and add a quart of 0-30 Amsoil yesterday.

So, thanks to BITOG, I am now getting my money's worth out of the oil I buy. Thanks Guys!

I have now officially moved past the old 3K OCI mentality of yesteryear.

I cant get away from that still...I sleep better at night I guess good for you though maybe one day age will catch up to me and Ill switch as well

I had been doing 1 year/12-15k miles OCI's in the LS400 for more than 15 years with whatever synthetic I had on hand with Motorcraft, Bosch Premium and Pure 1 oil filter. The oil filter stay on for the full year.

If I use dino then 6 month/6-7k OCI and filter changed on second oil change.

The E430 uses only synthetic and 1 year/12-13k OCI's since new.

I've been doing 1X/year OCI's on my 2002 F150, 4.6 for 7+ years. I run about 5,000 miles per year. Work is 10+ miles each way plus I take occasional longer trips with it. My engine is all aluminum, head & block, It seems heat up quicker than iron & iron/aluminum combo's. I use Motorcraft 5W-20 and the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter. I've used this combo since new. Originally OCI's were approximately 5,000 miles per 6 months. Circumstances changed and I don't rack up as many miles now a days. The truck does not go real short distances. I also have a car so commuting is shared in non winter months. I know color is not necessarily an indicator of condition but the oil comes out dark amber all the time. Rust will destroy the truck long before major mechanical problems, especially with the engine.

Whimsey

Last edited:
My use/mileage is about the same - 10 miles round trip to work, and the occasional LD trip. November 20th will be one year and ~5000 miles on PP in the 00 Taurus. Last year I went ~5500 on SynPower.

I have been using a 1 year/10K mile OCI in my vehicles since 2002. October is my oil change month for everything.

I have been strongly considering this tactic as well for both my vehicles. Neither one goes over 10K miles per year. I'm currently on 8 months and approx 5000 miles into this OCI for my Mazda. Just changed the Honda's oil with AAP Full Syn and a puro classic. I may try to take that car out the full year. It only sees about 7k miles per year.
I think I'll do the Mazda a full year this time too. Same AAP Full Syn and a puro cartridge filter.
And heck, If I get the jitters next summer, I can always dump it and reset my internal anxiety clock.

We have been doing it for decades too. Never had oil analysis done back in the day, and we never had any problems.

I couldn't imagine changing my oil sooner then once a year. In fact, I have been toying with the notion of changing my oil once every 24 months in the vehicles I have that only drive 8k-10k a year.

I could care less what any oil analysis says when I am running M1 EP or Amsoil in a mechanically sound engine. I will run it for a full year, 12,000+ miles.

Last edited:
I am more interested in a maximum OCI that that will get me to 175,000+ miles without an oil related issues like excessive oil burning. Heck, anyone can say they run 25 K miles but, can they get 150K+ miles on their vehicles OR do they trade it to some poor slob every 75K miles?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I am more interested in a maximum OCI that that will get me to 175,000+ miles without an oil related issues like excessive oil burning. Heck, anyone can say they run 25 K miles but, can they get 150K+ miles on their vehicles OR do they trade it to some poor slob every 75K miles?

No way. We have kept many high mileage vehicles. The highest ones we have had were a Toyota 4x4 from 86, with 265k sold running. A 93 corolla that we still have with 230k, We have a Dodge Dakota and a Ford Ranger. The ranger is @ 145k and is being beat to death. These vehicles all get yearly changes every october with Mobil 1 EP. (Except the 86 Toyota 4x4, we sold that a while ago, EP did not exist yet.)

I am about to take the corolla off it however, and put a thicker dino in, as this particular car is beginning to burn oil.

Tons of other cars and trucks in my family are running the stuff yearly too. The whole family got wise a long time ago.

It is nice having to do a change once a year, at $35 - $45.

Don't forget, many Americans use the cheap-stuff and hardly change there oil, and have high mileage cars...

Some cars will burn oil regardless of how often you change the oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back