Going to change my oil early

Since my new commute is only 2.2 miles my jeep never gets warmed up.

Currantly running Proline 10w-30. While this is an ok oil I don't know how well it can take these short trips. Thinking 2500 miles.

Thoughts?
Too soon. Atleast go for 3k, the "severe" oil change interval. If you took the car for a drive to get it warmed up, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Get a UOA and establish a base line would be my suggestion.
I agree. There is no harm in changing your oil early, especially during the winter. I'm going with 6 months, vs. 6K miles this time. My wife's Jeep is being used totally different since CV19. As a result I will be changing her oil earlier than I would have done prior to the pandemic. I will get a UOA and use that data to determine an OCI going forward.

Since my new commute is only 2.2 miles my jeep never gets warmed up.

Currantly running Proline 10w-30. While this is an ok oil I don't know how well it can take these short trips. Thinking 2500 miles.

Thoughts?
How much time is on this OC? I worked from home a lot last year but I'm still going to change it in April just like I have been. Last year it was right at 2.5k for the Lucerne and 1600 for the Sierra. This year will be around 2k for the car and 1k for the truck. Mostly short trips with idle time in the winter for both. Right now the Lucerne OLM is at 60% and I do trust it but not going over a year.

I started looking at it like this, you can spend your money on an OC or you can spend it on gas and add miles to your vehicle that you really don't need to.

I have a couple of UOAs on my 03 Civic EX, one with mostly long highway trips and one with mostly short (3 mi) trips. Both used Pennzoil conventional oil. The long highway trip one had a TBN of 1.9 after 6000 miles in 5 months. The short trip one had a TBN of 1.9 after 3500 miles in 14 months. Based on that, I'm comfortable with up to 3500-4000 miles on conventional oil under similar driving conditions as yours. But I'd probably change it at 12 months and lower miles because that's a long time to keep the same oil in there. Of course, your Jeep may behave differently, so take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Back