Going over 12 months on OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Maserati Ghibli doesn't get driven much. Last oil change was April 2019, have only logged 5k miles since. Mobil 1 5W40 FS with OEM oil filter. Factory interval is 12500 miles/12 months.

Due to this virus, I don't have time to do an oil change on it. My dad still drives the car around every once in a while to keep everything moving. At this point, it looks like I prob won't be able to change until June-July, 2-3 months overdue.

Is this too risky? Last time 2 times I saw a car go over 12 months OCI it blew piston rings, but they also did a WOT acceleration prior. I'd like to do it myself but worse case I'll have my dad take it to a shop. Just don't trust anybody working on my car after the last incident.

If you're not out on the track I see no problem here at all. I have had several vehicles that went for two years before changing oil and no issues.

I agree, under most circumstances, there is no reason to change oil based on the calendar. Today's quality oils contain sufficient additives to combat acids, and they will do so for many years. It's not unusual for TBN of a quality oil

However, I'd like to 'drift' the thread and address the very long oil change interval of 20,000KM or 12,500 miles. Unless an engine sump contains 12 or 15 liters/quarts, the oil will be sufficiently contaminated with particulates, engine blow by, unburned fuel and evaporated unburned fuel residue.

The Europeans are well known for extending oil change intervals into the stratosphere, for environmental reasons, with little regard to engine life, sludge, particulate load or other related issues. Many high end cars are leased, and in this environment, it's beneficial to the lessee and the manufacturer to include 'free' and infrequent service.

We have a large number of exotic cars here in South Florida. Many of which end up for post-lease sale at known outlets. There is a pattern of sludge, timing chain problems, and repairs that come with this type of near-neglect.

I suggest 5000 miles is a near ideal interval, using a quality synthetic oil. I do this. It's also amazingly easy to remember, as I change oil at 10,000 + 15,000 + 20,000 etc. Maybe change the filter every other oil change.

Last edited:
As long as the oil gets up to temperature for a while when its driven, it should be fine. Idling 2 miles to the store and back isn't really helping as its getting more fuel and condensation into the oil without getting hot enough to evaporate anything.

I've got the same problem with my S600. I don't drive a lot in the 12 month/10,000 mile oil change interval.

So, I go beyond the 12 months, until I get closer to the 10,000 miles. I run Mobil ONE 0W40.

Used oil analysis has shown that the oil is still good after 18 months in the sump. I'm sure it's good longer than that.

So, to answer your question: no risk.

It really depends on the nature of those occasional drives. Besides the length of the drives and getting the engine to temperature, start-stop traffic is pretty hard on oil so I wouldn't go more than a couple of months over if the car is subject to a lot of that.

I usually go 3 years on a garage queen which is lucky to have 3-4 k miles on the oil after three years.

Originally Posted by Calikura
It really depends on the nature of those occasional drives. Besides the length of the drives and getting the engine to temperature, start-stop traffic is pretty hard on oil so I wouldn't go more than a couple of months over if the car is subject to a lot of that.

Absolutely. There's a big difference between driving a car for two miles every other day for a year and accumulating 365 miles, and a person driving twice in that year for the same amount of miles. The one and only 1MZ-FE I personally saw with sludge was one where it was driven as I describe in my first example.

Been a few years ago; this guy went 5 years but only a few thousand miles and did a UOA, his results were so typical it was boring. You may find it interesting he used M1 but 10W-30. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...surburban-big-block-m1-10w-30-5-year-oci

I don't think the link to his UOA works anymore, nevertheless you may find reading the thread fascinating. Pull quote from the guy who did it: "My takeaway from this report is...if you're using a quality synthetic and don't drive much with a garage kept car, annual oil changes are likely a waste of time, money and resources."

Originally Posted by Cujet
The Europeans are well known for extending oil change intervals into the stratosphere, for environmental reasons, with little regard to engine life, sludge, particulate load or other related issues.

My opinion is that it kinda makes sense--they drive less miles per year and scrap their vehicles sooner. Why not do the least amount of work if you know with near-certainty when it will be pushing up weeds?

I too also like 5k OCI's although if I miss the 5k mark I sleep just fine letting it go to 10k so as to be back on schedule.

Originally Posted by supton
The Europeans are well known for extending oil change intervals into the stratosphere, for environmental reasons, with little regard to engine life, sludge, particulate load or other related issues.

My opinion is that it kinda makes sense--they drive less miles per year and scrap their vehicles sooner. Why not do the least amount of work if you know with near-certainty when it will be pushing up weeds?

I too also like 5k OCI's although if I miss the 5k mark I sleep just fine letting it go to 10k so as to be back on schedule.

They are not immune to the problem. My European friends were all on the long OCI interval, until this started happening.

[Linked Image from blog.bavauto.com]

A correction for my earlier post, as I cannot edit it:
. It's not unusual for TBN of a quality oil
Apologies for the incomplete thought. The TBN of quality oils is high enough to safely combat acids for many years of infrequent use.

Last edited:
Not saying they were immune--I'm of the opinion, what good is sending a spotlessly clean engine to the junkyard? If it will be in the junkyard before 100k regardless, then why not save on a couple oil changes?

[I change mine often as I plan on the long haul, and it feels good, but if I wanted to save a few bucks and was going to get rid of in short order, then what do I care what the engine looks like? Just that it met my anticipated needs.]

Our trusty Tundra doesn't see a lotta miles, but it is my favorite vehicle. My #1 tool!
It had been well over a year since the last service; I couldn't bear to dump almost 7 quarts of M1 High Mileage 5w30.
Only about 4,000 miles.

But I did a spill and fill, leaving the filter. Valvoline HM 5w30.
Also replaced the 8 ignition coils....
This truck is perfect. Just shy of 200K on the clock. A real smoothie.

pay some now or more later! its anyones guess as like people engines vary. compared to many things oil changes are cheep like some owners when you DIY it so better safe than sorry for me!

12 months? I haven't changed oil in 12 years on my car. Lol

I'm convinced that inadequate oil quantity is what most of the sludge-buckets end up suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back