Going out to eat, price or food quality wins?

G&M is a fine crab cake and it's what most Baltimoreans hold in the highest of regard. I've just had better lol and it's in the same price point. If you get a lb of lump crab (or claw if that is your preference) from the grocery store, find a packet of this: McCormick Old Bay Crab Cake mix. Makes a pretty good crab cake at home.

Ahh, I missed the joke :D

I mentioned in another thread, I'm "around the corner" from you. I'm sure not many people know of Fair Hill, unless they're into horses ha. Yes, next to Pizza Boy, Lee's Wok.

I'll have to give New #1 a try. Little far away for carry out to home.
Can you believe that until I moved to Phila in 1999, I had never heard of Old Bay?

Suddenly it was the greatest seasoning I had ever tried!

Can you believe that until I moved to Phila in 1999, I had never heard of Old Bay?

Suddenly it was the greatest seasoning I had ever tried!
Same here, moved to the area in 1998. Then it was Old Bay everything.

And don't cross a JO fan by saying Old Bay is better hah

OBshhirt2_1024x1024.jpg

G&M is a fine crab cake and it's what most Baltimoreans hold in the highest of regard. I've just had better lol and it's in the same price point. If you get a lb of lump crab (or claw if that is your preference) from the grocery store, find a packet of this: McCormick Old Bay Crab Cake mix. Makes a pretty good crab cake at home.

Ahh, I missed the joke :D

I mentioned in another thread, I'm "around the corner" from you. I'm sure not many people know of Fair Hill, unless they're into horses ha. Yes, next to Pizza Boy, Lee's Wok.

I'll have to give New #1 a try. Little far away for carry out to home.
Yeah in the 60s the real Fairhill was like 3 sq. miles.
Now it is the size of Delaware 😄
Pizza Boy has some good subs like the RB..Turkey....nobody does a great cheese steak anymore though. Their chicken is only 85 % bread ..no good.
Try Nick and Joes for pizza next door to new number one if you get to Newark...

$6 a box of two when on sale. 90% as good as what you will get in a restaurant.

GUEST_817d332f-b4c2-4350-b7f8-2c13e3542af1
We went to the restaurant at the Inner Harbor in 1999...they had all you can eat crabs and we didn't know how to even do it. Waitress showed us....

I will always pick average food for a reasonable price then excellent food for an expensive price.
Whether you spend $10 or over $100 for a meal, it all comes out the same in the end the next morning. Anything much over $20 is just for the location or ambiance. $12-$14 is my limit on one dish and I'll be drinking water at that price. Anything over $10 gets me a little concerned.

The restaurant industry is really having a tough go of it right now. The prices are insane. Just dinner for three at an average level, family owned Mexican place was $107 after tip the other night. We're getting priced out of eating out. So low cost really isn't an option any more.

I think we'll be back to quality, "celebration" meals only for awhile. Just a few times a year.

Quality

But quality doesn’t necessarily mean fancy.
Bingo! One can get c*** at fancy and expensive restaurants. Some of the best restaurants I have eaten at have been quite reasonably priced and some of the worst have been fancy and expensive.

Whether you spend $10 or over $100 for a meal, it all comes out the same in the end the next morning. Anything much over $20 is just for the location or ambiance. $12-$14 is my limit on one dish and I'll be drinking water at that price. Anything over $10 gets me a little concerned.
Around here, one gets a Whopper and a drink for $11.70. Taco Bell would easily fit your budget.

Yeah in the 60s the real Fairhill was like 3 sq. miles.
Now it is the size of Delaware 😄
Pizza Boy has some good subs like the RB..Turkey....nobody does a great cheese steak anymore though. Their chicken is only 85 % bread ..no good.
Try Nick and Joes for pizza next door to new number one if you get to Newark...
The Calvert Citgo actually has some good subs, so does Four Seas. Haven't had much from Pizza Boy. We tend to Four Seas for Pizza. We like Bigfoot's cheesesteak.

I guess it must be price for me. It bothers me to eat a steak that cost $50.00 or more when I can be perfectly satisfied with a couple of slices of pizza with sausage for $5.00. Fortunately COVID is still on my family's mind so we eat take out but hardly dine out at all.

If I go out, its either take out or a bar/restaurant. I won't go to these hipster places in LA with $18 cocktails anymore and "tapas" style food (i.e. order 50 appetizers and not be full), I had enough of that. Decent food, a grade above microwave at applebees and around $10 a cocktail and max $20 a plate. Not many decent local spots that fall into that category, but there is a Darden chain called Yardhouse around here that is great.

Quality and I’ve eaten at my share of high end and expensive restaurants and they were worth every penny but I’ve also eaten at dives that were fantastic too in different ways. However, everything has a price I’m not willing to go beyond.

Sometimes I’m annoyed by the pomp and circumstance - I remember being at Gramercy Tavern and they had someone positioned who just watched if I took a sip of water and then he’d come over to refill the sip. At some point it became a game for me but the food was delicious so I didn’t focus too much on the water dude.

Back