Going Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been using Amsoil for sometime. Now I'm thinking about switching to Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30. What do you guys think?

Regards,

Westex

quote:

Originally posted by westex39:
Ive been using Amsoil for sometime. Now I'm thinking about switching to Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30. What do you guys think?

Regards,

Westex

Hi,

Mobil 1 10W-30 is a better choice than 5W-30.

cheers.gif

Jae

My totally unbiased opinion is that Mobil 1 10W-30 is better than 5W-30. It appears to me that Amsoil puts up slight better analysis numbers than Mobil 1. But for me the added hassle and expense of Amsoil is not worth the slightly better numbers. I am though in the middle of rethinking (again) of becomming an Amsoil dealer just for my own needs.

Why is 10W better than 5W. They are both same when they get to operation temp. The 5W is thinner on startups providing better protection...right?

quote:

I think that unless you do used oil analysis of each, you will never know which one of the two oils works better in your particular engine.

I'd do a UOA of the oil you currently use. If it looks good, I wouldn't switch. On the other hand, if you don't like the results, then I'd switch to another oil and do another UOA on a second fill-up and compare.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Scooby:
Why is 10W better than 5W. They are both same when they get to operation temp. The 5W is thinner on startups providing better protection...right?

Generally, the narrower the spread, the more stable the oil because less viscosity improvers had to be added to allow for this spread. You should use an oil with the narrowest spread possible that still meets your engine's needs in your particular operating environment. Given that the original poster is in Texas, he really doesn't need a 5w-XX oil, so the 10w-30 M1 would probably be a better choice out of the two.

quote:

Regards,

Westex

Since you're asking for opinions, I'll give mine:

Stick with Amsoil. I believe it to be better than Mobil 1.

Patman's right. Stick with the Amsoilsince you are using it. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that you are already using it.
blush.gif

The reason I'm considering a switch to Mobil 1 is the API certification issue in regards to warranty and the price/availability. I change my oil when the change oil light comes on, usually around 4000 miles. Both my engines are the 5.3L Chevrolet. I can get the Mobil 1 and Sam's for about $4.00 per quart in the 6 quart case.
Thanks everyone for your responses.

westex

With dead dino this is an issue, with M1, in these viscosities, it isn't. Since it was introduced M1 5w30 never had any VII. The base stock, in it's raw form is 5w30. So is the 10w30. So essentially you're giving up nothing to get the somewhat better cold weather performance.

For the wider viscosity ranges of MI (0W30,40) I suspect, but don't know for sure, they use VII.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Originally posted by Scooby:

Generally, the narrower the spread, the more stable the oil because less viscosity improvers had to be added to allow for this spread. You should use an oil with the narrowest spread possible that still meets your engine's needs in your particular operating environment. Given that the original poster is in Texas, he really doesn't need a 5w-XX oil, so the 10w-30 M1 would probably be a better choice out of the two.

westex39

What oil drain interval are you using? If you're doing short drain intervals, the Mobil 1 is the better buy. If you're doing longer drain intervals, no reason to change from Amsoil.

For a drain interval up to, what?, 10,000 miles with periodic testing, save more money and use BobZoil...er, Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 synthetic blend...equal or better than both Mobil 1 and Amsoil except in the case of Amsoils very long drain interval.

Ken

[ May 06, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back