Going from Dino to Synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a vehicle has 25000 miles on it using dino oil and you decide to switch to synthetic, is there anything special you should do before draining the dino and replacing with synthetic?

quote:

Originally posted by yankees1:
If a vehicle has 25000 miles on it using dino oil and you decide to switch to synthetic, is there anything special you should do before draining the dino and replacing with synthetic?

Ya, celebrate!

But, my second thought is: make sure your wallet is fat!

I'd run a can of the Amsoil engine flush for 15-20 minutes ...

Add the flush and fast idle the engine in neutral, at two times the normal idle speed for 15-20 minutes, then drain the oil/flush mixture. Change the oil filter and re-fill with synthetic.

Even in fairly low mileage engines, use of the Amsoil engine flush will clean out any pre-existing deposits and ensure the old oil drains more completely ....

I'd also second the thoughts about the fat wallet - you'll need it to put all the $$$ you save in oil/filter changes and fuel over the next ten years
smile.gif

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

On a car with 25000 miles that got timely oil changes i.e. every 3000 miles then I see no reason to do anything but switch. Even if you stretched the interval a bit, I still say just switch.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
I'd run a can of the Amsoil engine flush for 15-20 minutes ...

Add the flush and fast idle the engine in neutral, at two times the normal idle speed for 15-20 minutes, then drain the oil/flush mixture. Change the oil filter and re-fill with synthetic.

Even in fairly low mileage engines, use of the Amsoil engine flush will clean out any pre-existing deposits and ensure the old oil drains more completely ....

That is just about enough to do some cat converters in on a hot day.

I'll be running some Group III synthetic (synthetic by some definitions anyway) in my pickup and wifes Aerostar. Both have over 100,000 miles, but have mostly run on synthetic/dino blends. I don't intend to do anything special but change it. With the low mileage you have, no problem, even going to true synthetics: Group IV (Mobil 1) or Group V (Redline).

[ June 08, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back