Going from Dino to GC, Should I flush?

Messages
494
Location
Fremont, CA
i've never flushed the dino out, just switched straight to GC. I'm pretty sure whatever dino's in there isn't enough to throw off readings on such a large scale.
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by Boaz: 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 10,500K currently Has been running Castrol GTX 5W-30 Since first OCI.I have been running the dino 3500 OCI. Next OCI (12k) I am going to run [bowdown] GC with an AMSOIL SDF34 filter. My question is... should I flush the dino out with any engine flush? I want to do back to back UOA to compare the Dino to the GC. I plan on running the GC 6000 miles and taking a sample then. I am going to replace the GC with Gold GC and then compare that with a UOA. How can I flush what is left of the dino out before I pour in the elixer? I don't want to skew the UOA of the GC with the dino that is still clinging to engine parts. Could I just do a short OCI with GC, I hate to waste the good stuff. What should I do? Jake
Jake, With your mileage, you do not need to flush first and please do not run a truncated OCI with the Elixer (too precioussssss). If you are a do it yourselfer, run the oil to hot, remove the dipstick for venting purposes and then let....the dino...REALLY...drain; then put in the GC and run a 5000mi OCI and then if the analysis supports it, run the oil to just shy of its limit on the next OCI (or you could do a mid OCI "dribble," and see if that first OCI can continue to run).
 
Messages
415
Location
Augusta Ga
quote:
Originally posted by pscholte:
quote:
Originally posted by Boaz: 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 10,500K currently Has been running Castrol GTX 5W-30 Since first OCI.I have been running the dino 3500 OCI. Next OCI (12k) I am going to run [bowdown] GC with an AMSOIL SDF34 filter. My question is... should I flush the dino out with any engine flush? I want to do back to back UOA to compare the Dino to the GC. I plan on running the GC 6000 miles and taking a sample then. I am going to replace the GC with Gold GC and then compare that with a UOA. How can I flush what is left of the dino out before I pour in the elixer? I don't want to skew the UOA of the GC with the dino that is still clinging to engine parts. Could I just do a short OCI with GC, I hate to waste the good stuff. What should I do? Jake
Jake, With your mileage, you do not need to flush first and please do not run a truncated OCI with the Elixer (too precioussssss). If you are a do it yourselfer, run the oil to hot, remove the dipstick for venting purposes and then let....the dino...REALLY...drain; then put in the GC and run a 5000mi OCI and then if the analysis supports it, run the oil to just shy of its limit on the next OCI (or you could do a mid OCI "dribble," and see if that first OCI can continue to run).

Ok , I will let it drain for like 30 minutes, while I rotate the tires... I am really looking foward to seeing the first UOA with the dino and the second one with the GC...its like christmas!! I was planning on taking a sample at 6k and changing the oil filter. Then judgeing on what the UOA says hopefully change the GC at 10k? I wonder what the UOA at 10K will look like? I will have to start sending my wife on extra errands as it is her Jeep. My oil testing days are numbered, my large commute (75miles daily) is all coming to an end at the end of July. It will take me longer to get to the mileage marks after that! I am going from a 75mile round trip commute to 9 mile round trip.... At least I will not be spending $450 a month on fuel!
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
quote:
Originally posted by Boaz:
quote:
Originally posted by pscholte:
quote:
Originally posted by Boaz: 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 10,500K currently Has been running Castrol GTX 5W-30 Since first OCI.I have been running the dino 3500 OCI. Next OCI (12k) I am going to run [bowdown] GC with an AMSOIL SDF34 filter. My question is... should I flush the dino out with any engine flush? I want to do back to back UOA to compare the Dino to the GC. I plan on running the GC 6000 miles and taking a sample then. I am going to replace the GC with Gold GC and then compare that with a UOA. How can I flush what is left of the dino out before I pour in the elixer? I don't want to skew the UOA of the GC with the dino that is still clinging to engine parts. Could I just do a short OCI with GC, I hate to waste the good stuff. What should I do? Jake
Jake, With your mileage, you do not need to flush first and please do not run a truncated OCI with the Elixer (too precioussssss). If you are a do it yourselfer, run the oil to hot, remove the dipstick for venting purposes and then let....the dino...REALLY...drain; then put in the GC and run a 5000mi OCI and then if the analysis supports it, run the oil to just shy of its limit on the next OCI (or you could do a mid OCI "dribble," and see if that first OCI can continue to run).

Ok , I will let it drain for like 30 minutes, while I rotate the tires... I am really looking foward to seeing the first UOA with the dino and the second one with the GC...its like christmas!! I was planning on taking a sample at 6k and changing the oil filter. Then judgeing on what the UOA says hopefully change the GC at 10k? I wonder what the UOA at 10K will look like? I will have to start sending my wife on extra errands as it is her Jeep. My oil testing days are numbered, my large commute (75miles daily) is all coming to an end at the end of July. It will take me longer to get to the mileage marks after that! I am going from a 75mile round trip commute to 9 mile round trip.... At least I will not be spending $450 a month on fuel!

Quite honestly, I think the Jeep engine will be a marvelous test of just how good the Elixer REALLY is. Your plan sounds good. I'm guessing 10K will push GC to its limits.
 
Messages
415
Location
Augusta Ga
on my UOA, I just purchased 2 kits from Oil Analyizers, But I have a few laying around from blackstone I use on my 4 runner. Does it matter what lab I use?
 
Messages
5,358
Location
Gone
I don't think so as long as you understand the testing protocols associated with that lab (e.g. how they determine TBN)
 
Messages
415
Location
Augusta Ga
quote:
Originally posted by pscholte: I don't think so as long as you understand the testing protocols associated with that lab (e.g. how they determine TBN)
Yeah I will have to read up on that! I might use the oil analyizers for the Jeep and use blackstone for the 4Runner to make it easy. I just got a killer deal on 2 PAID oil analysis kits for 25 bucks!!
 
Messages
415
Location
Augusta Ga
2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L 10,500K currently Has been running Castrol GTX 5W-30 Since first OCI.I have been running the dino 3500 OCI. Next OCI (12k) I am going to run [bowdown] GC with an AMSOIL SDF34 filter. My question is... should I flush the dino out with any engine flush? I want to do back to back UOA to compare the Dino to the GC. I plan on running the GC 6000 miles and taking a sample then. I am going to replace the GC with Gold GC and then compare that with a UOA. How can I flush what is left of the dino out before I pour in the elixer? I don't want to skew the UOA of the GC with the dino that is still clinging to engine parts. Could I just do a short OCI with GC, I hate to waste the good stuff. What should I do? Jake
 
Messages
415
Location
Augusta Ga
Change the oil today, Now the Libby has 5 quarts of the elixer in her crankcase!!! I used a Proline filter instead of the Amsoil.... saved 8 bucks! GOt the Prolines for 79Cents after rebate at pep boys!! I noticed that I can see the slight green tint when checking the dipstick!! I took a sample of the Castrol GTX today and sent it off in the mail already! I cant wait to see it since this is the first UOA on the liberty. I am using oil analyizers this time, anyone know what the turn around is on thier UOA?
 
Top