Godfathers pizza

There used to be 2 Godfathers pizza restaurants in my city but they closed years ago. I thought they had gone out of business years ago but I was in a neighboring town a few weeks ago and saw one in a strip shopping center. I remember eating their pizza 30 plus years ago and liked them. I might make the short drive this evening and try one…just because. Has anyone eaten a Godfathers pizza recently and if so, what is your take on them?

The wife and I aren’t big pizza eaters, but sometimes we would hit the Godfather’s place about 25 miles from us. Decent place, at least for a chain. Sadly, sometime during the epidemic they closed and haven’t reopened.

Oh man this brings back some memories for me. In my college town there were two Godfathers Pizza locations that did pretty well.

Being a college town (before Dominos) there was lots of competition for Pizza. Before I graduated, two guys that I went to school with opened a turnkey Dominos location. As I recall total cost was 43k......that was "stick the key in the door" price and start making pizzas. That was the mid 80's.....both of them are involved in other things now, but I can tell you they made a great living until they sold it off.

Now there’s a name I’ve not heard in a long time.…. I’m lucky because not far from the house is Gus‘ pizza, owned / run by an old timer from Greece. Real down to earth guy too:
“ so, Gus what’s in the supreme?”
“A whole bunch of stuff….”

Best d@mn pizza one could ask for.

I would only eat chain pizza if all other options had been eliminated. JMO.

Connecticut as 3.6 million people and 4 Little Caesars. A high Italian and Greek heritage population keeps the ratio there.

I just came back from Godfathers with a large combo. We have also Pizza Hut, and Dominos and little Caesars here, and we always get the Godfathers. Either Taco or Combo. LOVE it. During 2020 they closed the dining room, as did the other places, and none of the pizza places have opened the dining rooms. But the pick up and delivery is booming.

The freestanding Godfather's in my hometown is now a dentist office, and the Godfather's moved across the street and now is inside the Conoco station. Didn't know the brand existed anymore.
Screenshot_20211106-201114_Maps.jpg

Haven't seen a Godfathers in about 35 years. Depends on what kind of pizza you like but I loved theirs, order sausage and they put twice as much on as any other joint, finer texture than most sausage, then lots of cheese on top just turning golden brown. Might have just been that one location, I can't see them doing this today, such a high ratio of the higher cost toppings and remaining cost competitive.

There was one in the town I went to high school, but it left about 25 years ago. I liked their pizza.

When I was in high school I would roller skate on Friday/Saturday nights (I was on the race skate team and a referee-AKA-gets all the women) we would sometimes go to the local Godfathers pizza afterwards. They had a great deep dish pizza.

They are only in southern Colorado oddly enough. Sometimes Colorado Springs and south act like a different state.

Back