go with one oil or switch around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I think about oil so much? This is getting a little silly and my wife thinks I have OCD or something.
rolleyes.gif

I have been a SuperTech user for a few years now but since ST has gone up to $1.07 in my neck of the woods it is time for a change. I never had a single complaint with the ST oil.

I used Pennzoil for most of my life until 2002 when I bought a new Ford that needed the new 5w-20 and I used the MC syn blend in the explorer. I sold the explorer 10 months later when I made a decision to never again have a car payment and have had higher mileage used cars ever since.

This is the same time I switched to "value" oils. First I used formula shell when advance auto sold it regular price for $1 a quart. Advance then got thier own house brand and the formula shell went up 50% so I started using ST at .79 cents a quart.

I have just decided at this point to pick a brand and stick with it so I can quit worrying so much about what oil to choose.

I have narrowed to these choices:

Havoline
TropArtic
Formula Shell
Exxon superflow
Pennzoil (would be my first chioce except for the price difference)

I am of the thinking that all modern oils are much better than I will ever need so I am leaning towards the lower priced brands but would pay more for Pennzoil if it is really that much better but for my uses I doubt it would make a difference.

I know I could just pick anything off the shelf at the store and it would work just fine in this day and age but I just can't do that.
smile.gif

I wished I could be like the other 99.999999% of the population that never gives engine oil a second thought.

quote:

I have narrowed to these choices:

Havoline
TropArtic
Formula Shell
Exxon superflow
Pennzoil (would be my first chioce except for the price difference)

Well the Havoline is about $1.40 qt normal price.
The trop Artic is $1.12 or $1 normal price.
Shell is always on sale for .49 qt
Exxon is around $1.50.
All the Pennzoil I've bought is .69 cents.
Cheveron is another excellent oil for .49 cents (always on sale too.. I've bought 4 cases in the last month for that price.)

Pretty well everything you listed is excellent oil. I use whatever is on sale as long as it's good.
grin.gif

If you like the Pennzoil, It's normal price is around $1.50 qt in 5 qt jugs. Not bad!

In my outfits, I've used diff oils here and there with UOAs and everything looks good and my outfits run excellent.

I know some folks say run only one oil. We will see if my engines work out ok!

Call me lucky! (so far)
smile.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

One way to look at it is, if you keep a car for 10-15 years, you're going to be changing to a different oil even if you stick with the same brand and grade. Virtually all oil manufacturers will change basestocks and additives as time marches on and the API requirements change.

I doubt changing oil brands every OCI will affect the longevity of your vehicle in any way unless you used something totally uncalled for like straight grade SAE 50 in Winnipeg during the winter.

Changing brands might show elevated wear metals if you do a UOA every OCI, but that's mostly chemistry and not wear as commonly defined.

All the brands you list above are good choices in their SM/GF-4 formulations. Use the grade and OCI recommended in the user manual and you should have no worries. If you have a sludgemonster, you just earned a homework assignment.
grin.gif

Havoline. I'm trying to resist the urge to dump my Mobil 1 and try some Havoline 5w20, just because I've got "my Honda needs moly" syndrome. I think I've got an OCD too, you're not alone.

quote:

I sold the explorer 10 months later when I made a decision to never again have a car payment and have had higher mileage used cars ever since.

Bravo!!!

Hey, man ...it's all good, yo! All good
smile.gif

What he's saying is that the price isn't as much of an advantage as it was ..and he might as well throw in the extra few cents to get some bona fide name brand oil.

It's like the RTS vs. M1 T&SUV. It was a no brainer @ $12.84/gallon over $4.77/quart (or $26/gallon for D1) ..but @ $13.8x vs. $19.99 for 5 quarts ..it just doesn't make as much sense.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
What he's saying is that the price isn't as much of an advantage as it was ..and he might as well throw in the extra few cents to get some bona fide name brand oil.

This is the EXACT reason why I am quiting the super tech.

Well said Gary.

Seriously, who would pay $1.07 for super tech when you can throw in another nickel and get trop artic syn blend?

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
Havoline. I'm trying to resist the urge to dump my Mobil 1 and try some Havoline 5w20, just because I've got "my Honda needs moly" syndrome. I think I've got an OCD too, you're not alone.

Concerned about low moly in your Mobil-1?

I fed my Mobil-1 Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.... mega-moly in it.

If price is the issue then buy the .59 cent oil add the correct amount of mola brew to each oil change and
grin.gif
By the way do I have to move to Utah to get Chevron for .59 I have to pay at least a buck a qt..

quote:

By the way do I have to move to Utah to get Chevron for .59 I have to pay at least a buck a qt..

grin.gif
No, it's .49 cents a quart!

Just find a Checkers/Schucks/Kragan(sp) and they will sell it for .89 cents and then 2 cases a month rebate you .40 cents a quart.

Castrol after the rebate is .89 and Shell is .49!

I guess they are not in FL?
frown.gif

Chevron is hard to beat @ .49 cents a quart!

Wal-Mart just raised their prices here and the Regular Castrol GTX in a 5 qt jug is now $.9.97!

The Blend is less than .60 cents a jug more...

Picked up 4 jugs yesterday..
smile.gif
(all SM)

(Can't have enough oil...) 5 Oil changes for Less than $43
cool.gif

Take care, Bill

PS: My goal is 300 quarts then I'll stop... (for a while.. I'm running out of room..)
gr_eek2.gif

IT really does not matter if you switch around or stay with the same oil! The only thing that it is going to do is make it slightly harder to spot a trend early on!

I would be all over the formula shell or chevron at those prices but I never see those prices in my area. No schucks, cragen, or checkers here.

Just bought two or three OCI's worth of trop artic 10w-30 blend today for a buck a quart at dollar tree.

I think I am going to use the trop artic for a while for my "not on sale oil" and if I ever see formula shell or chevron for .49 a quart I will fill up the trunk of my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back