Go to's from days gone by...

The last few days I've been thinking about brands of oil I used to use that are no longer being marketed and sold. In the late nineties and early to late 00s my go to for shop oil was Exxon Superflo when it was on sale at Auto Zone and the red bottle STP oil that dollar general used to sell, because it was cheap and pqia test showed it to be a good serviceable lube. Plus both came in cool red bottles Haha. Anyway, what was your go to that is no longer around?

Is Wolfs Head still around? I liked it but never have seen it in stores since I was a kid. I know it is one of my teachers favorite oils.

Is Wolfs Head still around? I liked it but never have seen it in stores since I was a kid. I know it is one of my teachers favorite oils.
I used a bunch of Wolf's head over a decade ago. My Celica Supra leaked about a quart of oil a week and at API (Autopart International) they were selling Wolf's Head for only $1.75 or so per quart, I remember it being cheaper than even Supertech.

Now my API carries mostly Cam2 for its house brand, and now I'm making the habit to buy some topoff quarts of Cam2 when I go in. My tire guy who also does oil changes (not for me, but it's a service he offers) uses exclusively Cam2 and claims to have no problems with customers engines, etc, he gets it even cheaper from some other distributor that's not API. API only charges me about $2.50 per quart for syn blend Cam2, which I think is marginally cheaper than Supertech.

I used a bunch of Wolf's head over a decade ago. My Celica Supra leaked about a quart of oil a week and at API (Autopart International) they were selling Wolf's Head for only $1.75 or so per quart, I remember it being cheaper than even Supertech.

Now my API carries mostly Cam2 for its house brand, and now I'm making the habit to buy some topoff quarts of Cam2 when I go in. My tire guy who also does oil changes (not for me, but it's a service he offers) uses exclusively Cam2 and claims to have no problems with customers engines, etc, he gets it even cheaper from some other distributor that's not API. API only charges me about $2.50 per quart for syn blend Cam2, which I think is marginally cheaper than Supertech.
That’s cool. We don’t have one of those around here. We have the big 4 chain places and a few independent ones. They sell Cam2 at Dodge’s Chicken and Gas Station here I’ve never used it before.

There's a Dodge's Chicken and Gas Station in South Carolina just South of Ravenel on US 17.
Yeah we have a few around here. It’s not too bad but not first on my list. One makes all their money from the Speedway that Nascar races on in Martinsville. All the race fans get chicken from there and they are all open 24/7 too.

That is disappointing. I need to get my hands on some old Wolf’s Head then.
Back in the day, Wolfs Head was just one of quite a few top notch Pennsylvania crude based motor oils. When I owned hot Rods with hot camshafts I always preferred a Penn based oil. Used lots of Kendall Gt1 and Amalie Pro. Then I started using synthetic it my daily and changed the hot rods over to that too. Then I quit messing with hot rods Haha.

Back