go thin on 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, I have a 2000 Saturn LS1 with the 4cyl ecotec. There seems to be a growing issue with this particular engine eating the timing chain. Although the tensioner has been at fault it seems to start with inadequate oiling at low rpms, due to the oil nozzle being too small. This is all second hand information I've gathered. At 45,000 miles I'm on the rinse phase of Auto Rx and thinking about what oil to use. Cost will be a factor as I plan to change at least every 3000 miles. Since 5-30 is what's called for I was thinking a thin product. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks and have a good one.

"Is the timing chain an issue on all Ecotecs or just the early versions?"

Good question, I do not know. I had not been on the Saturn board (saturnfans.com) for awhile, but recently visited, and found this topic. It appears to be happening more than occasionally, at least to the 2000 or so LS1's. I am on a rinse phase of Autorx with havoline and probably will stick with it.

I think that any good , name brand SM 5w30 would serve you well at reasonable (4 to 5K intervals). I'm talking about GTX, Pennzoil, Havoline, E-M, CP, QS etc.

Is the timing chain an issue on all Ecotecs or just the early versions?

If you are looking for a "thin" 5w30, Havoline and Motorcraft are two of the thicker 5w30's out there at 100*C.

I would go with Castrol GTX 5w30. It is a hair thinner than Havoline and Motorcraft at 100*C and should also be excellent for cleaning things up. If you are trying to save a few bucks, go with walmart supertech for the rinse phase.

After the rinse phase a good 5w30 like Motorcraft/TropArtic, Havoline, Castrol syntec blend should all do a fine job in that engine. Factoring in cost, Havoline and TropArtic leed the pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back