gmt800 to gmt900 brake swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read on a few forums that this is a bolt on swap that really improves the brakes on these trucks. I'm thinking of doing this on my avalanche as i am towing with it.

Anyone on here done this swap and are you pleased? Was it worth it? If so which pads and rotors did you go with?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I did it on a 2005 half ton Suburban a few years ago. Plug and play.
smile.gif

I used Akebono pads, which always fit great and provide good life and bite. I probably sourced rotors locally. Nothing special.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I have read on a few forums that this is a bolt on swap that really improves the brakes on these trucks. I'm thinking of doing this on my avalanche as i am towing with it.

Anyone on here done this swap and are you pleased? Was it worth it? If so which pads and rotors did you go with?

Thanks!

Were you thinking new calipers and rotors from the gmt 900?

Last edited:
I installed Raybestos loaded calipers and rotors front and rear from a 2008 Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicle on my 01 Silverado and it was a direct fit. You will need 17" wheels at a minimum. I also converted from vacuum assist to Hydroboost and replaced all the brake hoses with braided stainless . Dot 4 fluid. Braking is outstanding now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Originally Posted by spasm3

Thanks!

Were you thinking new calipers and rotors from the gmt 900?

yes

Originally Posted by Paulfix
I installed Raybestos loaded calipers and rotors front and rear from a 2008 Tahoe Police Pursuit Vehicle on my 01 Silverado and it was a direct fit. You will need 17" wheels at a minimum. I also converted from vacuum assist to Hydroboost and replaced all the brake hoses with braided stainless . Dot 4 fluid. Braking is outstanding now.

Was the braking markedly improved? Was it worth the effort and cost?

Night and day difference. The stock brakes always felt marginal since the truck was new. The cost ? I did all the work myself and purchased a used Hydroboost unit and brake pedal. I'm going going to say yes it was worth it. I now have confidence in my stopping power. Never had that before. No more OH Sh!t moments in a panic stop. I did this in stages and the Hydroboost conversion provided the most noticeable improvement.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Paulfix
Night and day difference. The stock brakes always felt marginal since the truck was new. The cost ? I did all the work myself and purchased a used Hydroboost unit and brake pedal. I'm going going to say yes it was worth it. I now have confidence in my stopping power. Never had that before. No more OH Sh!t moments in a panic stop. I did this in stages and the Hydroboost conversion provided the most noticeable improvement.

Interesting, did you leave the abs system in place with the hydroboost? Did you buy a kit? If not what year hydro boost will fit the gmt800's? Did you have to use a different master cylinder?

Thanks

Last edited:
The GMT 800 was produced from 1999 to 2006 according to Wiki. The GMT 900 started in 2007. I have a 2008 3/4 ton Suburban. It came stock with the hydroboost, which runs off the power steering pump. It uses power steering fluid to boost the effort on the brake cylinder. No complaints so far. I can't comment on the swap. Really don't know.

Last edited:
I've never had any issues or complaints on my GMT800 2006 SIerra Denali brakes, even when towing my RV or loaded car hauler.

I used the stock master cylinder. ABS is fully functional. Go to performancetrucks.net or You Tube. There are a number of posts on how to do the conversion. My conversion has been on for almost 2 years and there have been 0 problems. If you buy from a salvage yard you can get the Hydroboost unit, brake pedal and hoses for around $150 . I did replace the used hoses with new .

I think i'm going to start with the calipers and rotors and see how it feels from there. I guess i could check the pull it yard for a 2500 suburban or truck with hydroboost if i want more.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
I've never had any issues or complaints on my GMT800 2006 SIerra Denali brakes, even when towing my RV or loaded car hauler.

Because it has factory Hydroboost.......

I put the front calipers , rotors and pads from an 07 on our 03 Tahoe after I had a need to stop quickly and found the original brakes are a total joke. Made a difference and well worth it, but then again, I love good brakes and being able to stop when I need to

Should i use delco OE or the Raybestos reman police package calipers? The raybestos includes pads and brackets that i will need for the swap.

Last edited:
Just a FYI, this summer will installing 2000 suburban package on my 89 GMT400 4x4. This requires changing out the front bearing housing. Then the only restraint is wheel size, will be sticking with 16in rims.

I have an 06 and want to do the 07+ front brake upgrade. I already have hydroboost and it's nothing to write home about. I would say save your money don't bother with that part of it

It's definitely worth the upgrade. Much better brake feel and a pretty good amount of additional braking power. I used the police package calipers for a 2008 tahoe and for pads and rotors just go with your preferred brand. Make sure you get the calipers WITH the brackets (most come that way) and not bare calipers because you need the new brackets to make everything fit. Pull off your old pads, rotors, and calipers. Put the new rotors on, bolt up the new caliper cage, put the pads in the cage (the pad with the rounded inside radius goes on the outside the pad with the straight inside goes on the inside), slide the caliper on and torque everything up. The only modification I had to make was to relocate one of the clips that holds the brake hose/abs wiring. There's a threaded hole on the top of the knuckle that you can bolt right up to and it should all work with minimal fuss. VERY IMPORTANT: You MUST have 17" or larger wheels to clear the new caliper package. Also consider replacing your spare with a 17" if you don't already have one (a 16" spare will still fit on the rear but who want's to have to change two tires if you get a flat on the front).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back