GMC Sierra Denali

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about trading my Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 for a GMC Sierra Denali AWD. Has anyone here ever had a Sierra Denali and if so can you tell me if I should expect any more trouble from the AWD system than the 4X4 system?

I know that I will not get as good of gas mileage from the 6.0, but how much worse will it be than the 5.3?

For those that have had a Denali, would you buy it again?

Well, we traded our Silverado yesterday. I talked to the service manager about when to start using synthetic oil. He told me that I should wait for 10,000 miles before using it. I thought that was a little long. What do you guys think? This is on a 6.0 G.M. engine.

It's my understanding that a great portion of break-in takes place in the first 500 miles, and smaller amounts occur up until 3000. This is when I've always converted to full syn and have had no problems.

As far as changing from a 4X4 to AWD, remember that AWD is more suited on on-road use, (foul weather traction, and some handling benefits) so I'd advise against exposing it to the same kinds of circumstances that you may have thrown at your 4X4.

Originally posted by CBDFrontier06:

As far as changing from a 4X4 to AWD, remember that AWD is more suited on on-road use, (foul weather traction, and some handling benefits) so I'd advise against exposing it to the same kinds of circumstances that you may have thrown at your 4X4.

Thanks for the advice. The entire time we had our Silverado we never took it off road. We did use the 4X4 system a few times to get from our place to town in bad weather.

If we have any problems with the new truck it is covered under a 5 year 60,000 mile 0 deductable warranty, so it wll not cost us anything.

If you're planning to stay on road with it, you're fine...but if your AWD fails due to attempted rock climbing, or excessive off-roading, you'll be footing that bill yourself. Just a friendly warning from a former AWD owner!

Originally posted by Jim 5: So....what's the verdict?

How does the 6.0 compare to the 5.3 in fuel economy?

Please let us know.

We brought the truck home from Denver on Wednesday and parked it in the garage, it has less than 200 miles on it and used less than half of a tank of gas. We have not driven it since we got it home or put any gas in it yet so I do not know yet what is it going to do.

After we have driven it some I will let you know. I do know that it does have more power than the 5.3.

quote:

If you're planning to stay on road with it, you're fine...but if your AWD fails due to attempted rock climbing, or excessive off-roading, you'll be footing that bill yourself.

In other words, don't use it in the manner shown in the commercials they run to con you into the idea that the truck can actually, you know, be used, OFF-ROAD!

Bunch of rip-off artists these guys. Ford too, with their Mustang GT commercials. They show the car on the street sideways hitting redline in three gears. Try that, break something, and then take it in for your warranty fix.
banghead.gif

Riiiiiight!

Originally posted by another Todd:
A whole nuther topic, but in my opinion, change your oil and filter now! Stick with dino oil for now also. I'd say at least 5000 miles before switching to synthetic.

I know that there are several that will not agree, but I have always changed the oil in our new vehicles at 500 miles and then at 3K, 6K, 9K and so on.

For the dino oil I will use Valvoline All Climate. I had bought 36 quarts of GC to use in our old 5.3 Silverado and never did use it so I really do not know if I should try it later or just use Valvoline SynPower.

Originally posted by Jim 5:
Please let us know how the fuel economy on this baby works out.

We did not really need gas today but with the price of oil and gas going up, we filled it up today.

The truck has 220 miles on it now and with a 6.0L engine 4:10 gears and AWD it did 17.8 MPG. It is not that great but I do no think it did that bad for a full sized truck with that engine, gears, AWD and a fairly strong head and side wind on the way back home.

I have a loaded 2006 Sierra Denali (sunroof, DVD, 20" wheels etc) and love it. I have 7700 miles on it and changed the first oil at 1000 and then at 5000 went to Mobil 1. Your fuel milage is a little hard to believe because I am only getting 13-14mpg. I have to disagree with the earlier post of GM and AWD systems being bad. I had a Olds Bravada (97) with AWD and never had an issue in the 68000 miles I owned it. Also had a 1999 Chevy Astro with AWD and, again, never any trouble and sold it with 88000 miles. Also - Cadillac Escalades and the Yukon Denali's are AWD with no problems- so I don;t buy that argument. Are they more complex? Maybe, but even a simpler 4x4 transfer case is always being used whether in 2 or 4 wheel drive mode and Hey - the autotrac transfer case on regular 4x4's has a full time function too....should I dare say again - with no issues.

I love my Denali and the 6.0 engine is a powerhouse. If someone is hellbent on 4x4 then get the regular 5.3 Z71, other wise for all around use the AWD is fine. I will also say that you still see lots of Denalis on the road so the AWD is not trouble prone.

I would expect that your 17.8 MPG reading from the DIC is not accurate and the 13-14 mentioned will be a lot closer to reality after you fill up your tank the first time. I've heard as low as 10 with a load and as high as 15-16 on the highway. The average is in-between.

Family members have both a 2WD 5.3 Suburban, and a 4WD 6.0 Silverado Crew Cab. The first is miles ahead on highway fuel economy, 20-21 loaded with [5] people and junk for a two-week vacation; the second, solo with minimal stuff is about 14.

Again - I also say the milage is off. I ran out and checked my DIC and it is saying 12.8. I went and got gas and did the math and yeah, 12.8. A month ago, I towed my travel trailor and was getting 8.2mpg. This is a 28 footer and around 7000 lbs. The tow rating on the Denali is 8100lbs which is only due to the transfer case being the weakest link. The engine, truck, and 4.10 axles can do soooo much more, but the transfer case limits the overall rating. The truck moves like there's maybe a 3000 lb trailer on it - really tows well. My only complaint, and this even coming from a GM employee, is that GM did one of its usual "cheapening out" of the model. If anyone remembers the original Denali's they were extended cabs, but had marker lights all around and quadrasteer. I miss quadrasteer! I still love my 06, don't get me wrong - but quadrasteer would really back of the "professional grade" slogan a little better.

Anyhow - you're lucky to get even 15 on the highway unless you drive 55 maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back