GM W Body question

What are you looking for with this? First car for a kid? Replacement for one of your current cars?
Both, although just having a backup would be good too. But I moved on though, seems too much of a gamble.

Actually kinda waiting to look now, prices coming down a bit, plus its winter, plus I’m stupid busy at work. Won’t “need” another car until fall, so I have six months.

The 4T60E is a decent unit & doesn't suffer from the Pressure Control Issues that the 4T65E does....Or the "Long Shift" P1811 DTC.

But is does share some issues....Like the 4th Gear Hub Splines stripping & the Forward Band breaking....But....Without the P1811 DTC & the PCM has no control over Line Pressure, It can't go into "Protect Mode" Commanding max Line Pressure which is a big contributor to the Splines stripping & the Band breaking on 4T65E's.
So the 4T60E simply doesn't have the ability to go into "Protect Mode" under any circumstances?

Good to know, Thank you. Trying to learn some here in case l would run into it on a friend's car/truck or my car.
But I don't work in a garage anymore. Sometimes l wish l still did though.
clineberger said.......................... "4T60E......Vacuum Modulator controls Line Pressure via Manifold Vacuum."
Almost sounds like to me, from what l've been reading that the 4T60E is easier to work on and has less issues.

While I'm biased... I absolutely adore the W-Body platform. I've owned one model or another from every generation: from a 1st gen '91 Regal to a 1.5 gen Monte Carlo to a 2nd gen Impala to a 3rd gen Impala. Actually, there's a few more sprinkled in there.

However, the W-Body is far from the pinnacle of GM FWD engineering. To me, at least, that accolade belongs to the G-Body. In alphabetical order, I've owned the following GM FWD platforms:

A
B
G
H
J
K
N
W

Far and away, the G-Body is the best FWD chassis GM ever built. Sure, the W-Body was cheap and adaptable. The A-Body kept rental agencies stocked for 2 decades. The J-Body produced some of the most reliable yet forgotten models in recent memory.

That said, one need look no further than the original engineering test results RE: chassis rigidity. The G-Body literally BROKE the test equipment used to evaluate chassis flex. GM had to resort to the truck test rig to truly test the chassis' ability.

Don't forget: the FWD G-Body debuted in 1995 with the Oldsmobile Aurora and Buick Riviera, however in 1997 GM combined the G, C, H, and K platform into one broad line. Only the Eldorado continued on with the E platform.

All that being said, I'm of the opinion that although the W-Body is a solid and reliable chassis, the G/C/H/K models are far superior.

Last edited:
One of my ex's I was with for 4 years had a 94 Grand Prix. The trans shifted perfect but the car was neglected, needed intake gaskets and was rusted out. We got a 98 grand am with 240k miles from a friend. He had replaced the intake gaskets at around 200k miles. Trans was perfect on that one too and no rust, yearly undercoating. She later upgraded to a 99 lumina which she kept for years after we split until it rusted out. That one had intake gaskets before we got it. No issues with the engine or trans on that car.

While I'm biased... I absolutely adore the W-Body platform. I've owned one model or another from every generation: from a 1st gen '91 Regal to a 1.5 gen Monte Carlo to a 2nd gen Impala to a 3rd gen Impala. Actually, there's a few more sprinkled in there.

However, the W-Body is far from the pinnacle of GM FWD engineering. To me, at least, that accolade belongs to the G-Body. In alphabetical order, I've owned the following GM FWD platforms:

My favorite FWD GM car was my '00 Bonneville SSEi, easily the best car I ever had, and wish I'd replaced the 4T65E trans instead of trading it in. I always considered it an H body; I wasn't aware they combined it into G bodies.

The W platform doesn't get nearly enough credit (rust issues not withstanding).

Unfortunately the GM bean counters ruined it with cheap materials and cost cutting wherever they could. Some models were affected more than others, but what else does a company do when it's on its way to going bankrupt? Cheap out on your product, spend more on executive salaries, and ask for a government handout. I'm half joking about that, GM really had some innovative ideas and tried a lot of new things other automakers either followed or didn't try at all. Wish there was more innovation these days instead of just follow the leader.

I'd love an '02-'03 4.0 L47 V8 Aurora
Such a classy looking car IMO

It's too bad that GM cheapened out the 2nd Gen Aurora as much as they did. I had a '96, and it was an AMAZING car. The interior was unlike anything GM had released (or would release) for YEARS.

Back