GM VT40 CVT FLUID

i have a 2023 buick encore gx, 1.2L Turbo with the gm vt40 CVT TRANS.

What fluid should i use for a drain and fill?

ac delco 10-4092, ac delco 10-4118, valvoline CVT, OTHERS?

thanks for the welcome, i have browsing this site for years

only have about 5 k miles, i am just starting my research and getting ready for future maintenance events

I believe the consensus is that the CVT fluid needs to be changed every 25k miles. You should change the filter (if it has one) every time, also.

Welcome. It’s always safest to use whatever the manufacturer suggests. I have a Nissan CVT that has only seen NS-2. I’m sure the Valvoline equivalent would be fine but what tempt fate to save a few bucks? My cheap little Versa is at 103k and the trans pulls strong. I suspect the same strategy will work for your Buick. Yes to drain and fills every 30 k or so.

Attachments

• IMG_2733.jpeg
    IMG_2733.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
thanks for the welcome, i have browsing this site for years

only have about 5 k miles, i am just starting my research and getting ready for future maintenance events

By the time you need to change it, there should be more options available, and you will probably be able to find a Youtube video showing you how to do it.

Castrol Transmax universal ATF/CVT fluid is pretty vague in regards to GM. It only says it covers "GM CVT". I've had this fluid in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT for ~20K miles now. Just shy of 90K total on the vehicle.

Back