GM Truck Passive Door Lock???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I assisted a co-worker to break into her rented GM pickup. She claimed that she left the key FOB on the drivers seat, closed the door, and it then locked itself! Is this possible? I Googled the subject and came up with conflicting answers.

GM owners please chime in and tell me about this. What if you locked your kids in the car? Is this a standard feature or did something malfunction? I finally opened the door by pushing the unlock button on the key FOB with a long piece of stiff wire through the door jamb.

It will lock with the key fob inside. Only if it is a push button start and the key fob is inside that it will not let it lock. Same goes if the key is in the ignition, it will not let it lock.

We got locked out of a 2017 silverado while the vehicle was running with the fob in the cup holder. The vehicle was parked under a tree and onstar could not locate the vehicle so we sat outside in 90 degree hot humid weather with biting flies. After about two hours the tow truck came and got the door open. I think its just a built in money maker for onstar as my tundra is ten years old and I cannot lock the keys inside with it running.

My son says his will not let you lock them inside … but GM did nothing to prevent you from locking them inside your condo

(Fortunately I had bought him a combination lock for the front door) …
wink.gif

Mine will lock with the key inside the truck if you bump the door lock button when getting out...about 2 seconds after you shut the door it will even honk at you to let you know it is now locked.

Wife has a 2009 Toyota Venza and it is impossible to lock the car with a key fob inside the car. All the Toyota with push button ignition switch behave the same. It becomes a problem if she has he key in her purse somewhere in the car and I am driving it... cannot lock the vehicle without searching the whole car. Still, that seems better than locking the car keys in the vehicle.

wifes caddy wont let the door lock with the fob inside. And if enabled will lock the doors automagically after you get ~8 feet away from it.

Why wasn't the FOB in a pocket? it probably wont happen again eh?

What year? 2007-2013 models had a feature called delayed lock and an easily inadvertently bumped lock button. You accidentally bump the lock button getting out with no indication that you hit it only to have the horn honk and doors lock after you shut the door and took a few steps away.

Turn the feature off in the dic and the doors will the lock when the button is pressed. It does nothing to prevent you locking the keys in but you know instantly when you bump the lock button.

Oh I see you said rented. So probably a new one. I don't know if they still have that feature.

Last edited:
If the ignition is off and you exit leaving the fob behind, the horn will give several quick toots and should not allow the vehicle to be locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back