GM techs 2013 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not totally sure. Is this a GDI engine? If it is, it may be a part of the 2000+ PSI system.

Also, I think a code like that would make the car fail smog testing. Because of that, I think the longer warranty that covers emission controls would cover you in this situation.

It is a Direct injection engine . The service advisor at on star said it was not a major problem and i could service it at my leisure when she gave me the code. However it does say that the fuel system is not covered to the 50,000 mile level or under the power train warranty either. Fuel pumps for this car run several hundred dollars plus about 4 hours labor . yikes

Wife said she has a reduced power message but acceleration was fine . I drove the car on 2 occasions and the engine light is on but i see no messages and it drives fine at this time .

Since it's driving fine, it might just be a sensor or something else minor.

Well i took the gas cap off and retightened it. Today the light is off and all is normal. If it stays that way ... i cant imagine a gas cap setting off the traction light disabling the cruise control and then making everything all right .

Originally Posted By: 94 saturn sl1 2000 saturn sc2
Well i took the gas cap off and retightened it. Today the light is off and all is normal. If it stays that way ... i cant imagine a gas cap setting off the traction light disabling the cruise control and then making everything all right .

In many cars the check engine light will also disable traction control and cruise control.

Here is information to digest:

P228D:

The actual fuel rail pressure is 3 MPa (435 psi) greater than the desired fuel rail pressure. The condition exists for greater than 10 s.

Diagnostic Aids:

Any problem with the camshaft may set fuel pressure DTCs due to the location and design of the high pressure fuel pump. If camshaft position control DTCs are current or in history, a cam control issue may be the root cause.
•A faulty valve, plunger, or solenoid in the high pressure fuel pump may set a DTC. High pressure fuel pump damage will most likely be undetectable upon visual inspection.
•A restricted fuel feed pipe between the fuel feed pipe fuel pressure sensor and the high pressure fuel pump may set a DTC.
•A leaking or restricted fuel injector may set a DTC.
•A leak in the high pressure fuel system may set a DTC.
•Vapor lock may set DTC P0089

Circuit/System Verification 1. Attempt to start and idle the engine.
 2. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTCs P0089, P00C6, P228C, and P228D should not set.
⇒ If any of the DTCs are set
Refer to Circuit/System Testing.

⇓ If none of the DTCs are set
 3. Engine idling.
 4. Verify the scan tool Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter is approximately 1.9–5.0 MPa (276–725 PSI).
⇒ If not between 1.9–5.0 MPa (276–725 PSI)

⇓ If between 1.9–5.0 MPa (276–725 PSI)
 5. Verify the scan tool Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor parameter increases or decreases while commanding an increase and decrease in Fuel Rail Pressure with a scan tool.
⇒ Does not change

⇓ Changes
Warning: Road test a vehicle under safe conditions and while obeying all traffic laws. Do not attempt any maneuvers that could jeopardize vehicle control. Failure to adhere to these precautions could lead to serious personal injury and vehicle damage.

 6. Road test the vehicle and perform a wide open acceleration from a stop until the transmission shifts into second gear. On manual transmission applications, shift to second gear or stop the test near 2,500 RPM. Repeat the test at least three times.
 7. Verify DTCs P0089, P00C6, P228C, and P228D do not set.
⇒ If any of the DTCs set

⇓ If none of the DTCs set
 8. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
 9. Verify the DTC does not set.
⇒ If the DTC sets

⇓ If the DTC does not set
10. All OK.
Circuit/System TestingNote: Circuit/System Verification must be performed first or misdiagnosis may result.

 1. Remove the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump.
 2. Verify the lobes on the camshaft do not have unusual wear or are worn.
⇒ If the lobes have unusual wear or are worn
Replace the Camshaft.

⇓ If the lobes are OK
 3. Test or replace the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Component Testing 1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump.
Note: The DMM and test leads must be calibrated to 0 Ω in order to prevent misdiagnosis.

 2. Test for 9–11 Ω at 25°C (77°F) between the high control circuit terminal 2 and the low control circuit terminal 1.
⇒ If not between 9–11 Ω
Replace the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump.

⇓ If between 9–11 Ω
 3. Test for infinite resistance between each terminal and the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump housing.
⇒ If less than infinite resistance
Replace the G18 High Pressure Fuel Pump.

⇓ If infinite resistance
 4. All OK

LOL on trying to cash in on the emissions warranty. I went around and around with Ford on that one. If it's not the Cat or the Evap Canister, forget about it.

If you read my post with the GM diagnostic tree you will notice the 3 things that could be wrong are:

1. The high pressure pump
2. The camshaft is worn/bad
3. Other electrical connection issues

The high pressure pump is covered for 7yrs/70k miles if you have california emmisions or live in a state the adopted it. Michigan is not a state that adopted CE.

The camshaft is covered under your 5/100 warranty because it is a lubricated component.

If there are any electrical connection issues, that would not be too costly of a repair.

All this info is in your owners manual warranty section.

My advice is to wait if the light comes back on. If so - go to the dealer and see what they can do. If its a Camshaft, you are covered. If its the HP pump I am pretty sure GM would assist in some coverage if you are not covered fully under the emissions part. Wiring issues are usually not too much to fix.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back