"GM Sued in Canada, Accused of Using Defective Engine Gaskets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
"GM Sued in Canada, Accused of Using Defective Engine Gaskets"

I think the headline says it all. The article can be found here -> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000082&sid=aRzsp7mjqYo4&refer=canada

Basically to sum things up, this lawsuit covers some "vehicles from 1995 to 2003 with an allegedly defective part that caused engines to overheat and seize."

The article also states that "The suit cites 23 General Motors models as having the defective gasket" I think I saw the list some other place, at ctv.ca, but I don't seem to have a link to it.

Here is the bit that I think everyone on this board will be interested in... "The lawsuit may include as many as 400,000 GM car owners in Canada, and with each owner claiming C$3,000 ($2,647) in damages, the claims may total C$1.2 billion"

What I find most interesting is not that this lawsuit took place, but that it took so long to get to this point.

Out of curiosity, how many cars in the United States of America were sold with these same engines? And how much would the potential liability for GM work out to?

I know then general rule of thumb is that whatever the US economy/industry is, the Canadian one is one-tenth. So if that is the case, using the above numbers and information from the article, that means that GM could be sued, in a class-action lawsuit, for around C$12 billion.

I guess I will end my post by saying that this is all too bad. I like the cars that GM and Ford make, and seeing the problems that they are having, its most unfortunate. I suppose, however, when the leaders of a society get out of touch with the people at the bottom and in the middle, bad things inevitably happened. I guess the same turns out to be true with corporation.

All those litigious Canadians care about is themselves and getting their own cars fixed, while an unfortunate automotive icon goes down the tubes and jobs are lost. Like a car is supposed to last FOREVER?

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
while an unfortunate automotive icon goes down the tubes and jobs are lost. Like a car is supposed to last FOREVER?

Unfortunately this gasket problem is at least as big of a scandal as the defective auto-trannies that they put in their cars in the 80's. They were known to be defective and they kept on doing it.

And these carsdo not last forever-many don't last at all The leaks occur in the first couple of thousand miles and close to 100% will leak at 50K. Its a screw up of overwhelming proportions and it demonstrates with 100% accuracy why GM is going under They deserve it. Unfortunately the corporate baffoons who allowed this fiasco are floating away on their golden parachutes.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
All those litigious Canadians care about is themselves and getting their own cars fixed, while an unfortunate automotive icon goes down the tubes and jobs are lost. Like a car is supposed to last FOREVER?

Gee, I'd just be happy to have an engine that makes 150-200k (yeah pretty greedy...) without drowning in its own coolant. GM's real problem is that they failed to introduce glycol-proof bearings in these engines!

This lawsuit is not surprising at all. GM did screw up bigtime, given how many 60 degree V6's are having problems with intake manifold leaks. This is coming from someone who is normally GM's first defender, too. To their credit, GM has released new gaskets to fix the problem, but I wonder why this was ever a problem in the first place (bean counters???).

As both a GM (well GMAC Canada) debtholder, and a 3.1 owner (albeit a 1992 model -- not covered), I don't know what to feel. Other than absolutely stupid for lending GM money.

Hopefully this won't be settled until at least June, 2009, thats all I can hope
wink.gif

My Dad’s 98 Buick LeSabre 3.8 (90,000km) had to have the manifold gasket replaced (leaking) at a cost of over $1000 a few years ago -- and while on a long road trip to the US. … … *^%*&%&$(&^^(%>!!.

Hindsight is always 20/20. GM should have just recommended 20wt oil in the cooling system. So when it does leak through the gaskets, no engine damage will ever occur.

Hi

Since the days of Roger Smith, GM has been primarily an accounting firm that just happens to make cars.

quote:

Hindsight is always 20/20. GM should have just recommended 20wt oil in the cooling system. So when it does leak through the gaskets, no engine damage will ever occur.

worshippy.gif
Pure genius.

In refecting on those times, I would attend the GM Stockholders Meetings at the Fisher Building, when they were held in Detroit. EDS and H. Ross Perot, were the hot topic and if Mr. Perot, would become GM's Next CEO. Mrs. Evelyn Davis, told that to Roger Smith, face to face!

I wonder what GM would be like today, if that had happened?
dunno.gif

Silicate free Dexcool = "O2 sensor safe" coolant.

Actually, propylene glycol is rather thick. Maybe it could be used as a lubricant/coolant in the next GM design.

My first car was a used GM x-body. The camshaft wore out about 4000 miles past the 50,000 mile warranty. The door hinges came loose, and the drivers side window decided to stay down, one rainy fall day. One of the OEM rims was not round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back