"GM Sued in Canada, Accused of Using Defective Engine Gaskets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Boston:
The very bean counters charged with making money for GM will be the ultimate cause of GM's demise.

EXACTLY!!! I hate watching this American Tragedy!
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
All those litigious Canadians care about is themselves and getting their own cars fixed, while an unfortunate automotive icon goes down the tubes and jobs are lost. Like a car is supposed to last FOREVER?

You know the bad thing is, I am willing to bet that the reason people are suing is because they took the car back to the dealer to fix it, and was told it was somehow their own fault, or GM refused to repair under warranty. Had they just done the right thing and fixed it, or acknowledged a problem, they prolly wouldn't be in this mess. They are their own downfall, and responses like the above quoted, just shows how ignorant the American public can be. There is no reason why a properly maintained engine from any manufacturer today, shouldn't last a service life of 150K miles.

GM may be an icon but it was a monopoly. About 50% of the US market in '70s. Had it all, but due to their own incompetence, like this issue about gaskets, GM, UAW losing it all. Its a new (and real) world, other companies make better vehicles.

GM and UAW whined about needing "an even playing field." Well, got that, because Japan came here. Still wasn't "even," I guess, so they get their cronies to pass a 25% excise mark-up on imported trucks. Still couldn't beat competitors, so UAW tried to unionize their competitors' plants, hoping to make them work less hard/less carefully. No go, these folks prefer to work hard and well. GM lost, so go bankrupt.

And this continuing crap about "lost jobs," please! Do you know how many times when a UAW worker is interviewed by a newspaper, that he/she says his/her father, uncle, brother, etc. also worked there? Talk about a true "closed shop!" The workers there are the pampered, spoiled offspring of former GM workers, who got better wages and benefits than almost every other industry. It's inbreeding, in part, that has killed them. It will be a learning experience for these workers, and yes, the managers, when they see what real work-life outside of their little world is like. Like, say, co-payments for doctor visits, like the rest of humanity pays. And a billion other things. It will not be pretty.

I look forward to the time when my intake gasket fails; why? you ask, because I really like my little Buick, and I love working on cars. Every day when I get home from work, I pop the hood to let the engine cool (because I'm nice to my car
smile.gif
) and so I can check for leaks or anything needing attention. Everything is always completely dry. The little car doesn't leak a single drop anywhere. If it did, I wouldn't go crying to a lawyer, (no offense ekpolk
smile.gif
) I would just fix it and enjoy doing it.
tongue.gif

GM knew of the problem in the early years when this problem started. What ****** me off they continued to use the defective gasket for many years. My daughter's 1992 had to have the gasket changed and I think it was a defective one as the mechanic said. When GM dealers fixed the cars they did not do the job right, the head should have been plained down as they might be warped from overheating. But no GM just put the head back on only to have the problem reaccur for owners who cars were now out of warranty.
Don't get me started with the UAW's demands that is now kicking them in the ***, thats for a different forum.

quote:

Originally posted by GoldenRod:
I look forward to the time when my intake gasket fails; why? you ask, because I really like my little Buick, and I love working on cars. Every day when I get home from work, I pop the hood to let the engine cool (because I'm nice to my car
smile.gif
) and so I can check for leaks or anything needing attention. Everything is always completely dry. The little car doesn't leak a single drop anywhere. If it did, I wouldn't go crying to a lawyer, (no offense ekpolk
smile.gif
) I would just fix it and enjoy doing it.
tongue.gif

What year is your little Buick.

GR:

Don't worry, no offense taken. The vast majority of us don't want to hear your (or anyone else's) cryin' unless its about something that really matters (i.e. someone really did something for which they deserve to be responsible, AND it caused substantial harm). If you're cool with your car and how it behaves, what more can you ask for (at least in the personal transportation department)?
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

I pop the hood to let the engine cool

I'd rig a circuit to make the engine cooling fan come on for a minute at shutdown.

If it is pre 1996 all you have to do is place a jumper between the A and B terminal in the OBD connector under the steering wheel. This should flash any stored codes also should turn the cooling fan on.

brianl703 and MC5W20,

The little Buick runs very cool between 180F and 187F most of the time with the occasional temp spikes.
smile.gif

I just like popping the hood all the time to admire the beautiful 3800V6. I guess you could call me a "hood popper."
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Vasili:

I suppose, however, when the leaders of a society get out of touch with the people at the bottom and in the middle, bad things inevitably happened. I guess the same turns out to be true with corporation. [/QB]

Your quote is very true.

We have a Congressman with 90,000 in bribe money in his freezer and Congressional leaders are talking about abuse by the Executive branch.

We have elected officials that will not enforce our immigration laws. (including our President)

We have CEO's taking obscene severance packages.

We have Congress giving away billions (in taxpayers money) to foreign countries while closing Veterans hospitals, schools, libraries etc...here at home.

We pay millions to athletes and 'performers' while military personel, teachers, police officers, carpenters etc...can barely pay their bills. (then we have to listen to these overpaid performers like Madonna, Natalie Manes, Springsteen etc...spew their politics.)

We no longer can say Merry Christmas- but Channukah and Quannza are OK.

...no wonder so many bad things are happening.

Eh, that 1.2 billion doesn't matter to them anyways. They would have used it to move to CHINA in the first place. Job cuts arn't caused by lawsuits.

Setting that aside, the GM vehicles in Asia and europe tend to do suprisingly well.

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Moms 98 Buick V6 had the intake gasket fail at 25000 miles - $1600

Did they put a gold plated one in? I just got mine done on our van for $450.

Hey, pbm, is this a great country or what? (Whadayawanna bet the senate members crying loudest about abuse of separation of power are the same ones William Jefferson's got the goods on, too? The "If I go down, y'all go down!" defense.)

Tosh your a dill. GM keep screwing you over like no other company on the planet and yet you want to support them. Hope the b@stards go belly up, they deserve no less IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back