GM stopping sales of new Corvettes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't just tied to GM the fact is that every automaker is
pushing the vendors that supply parts to the absolute edge to
cut costs and the result of it is defective and faulty parts in increasingly huge numbers which of course leads to recalls and
TSBs.

Personally I wouldn't even bother buying ANY new car today, they are too complicated, and expensive in the first place, and then you have this extreme cost cutting and you have a guaranteed recipe for disaster. The entire auto industry is shooting itself in the foot, but being as arrogant as they are they will end up cutting their nose off despite themselves. LOL

Wow way to screw up GM. Atleast they were decent and stopped sales until it's fixed

Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is never good PR when a flagship model has its sales halted due to poor Q.C.

Yeah, however the flip side of this coin is that quality problem feedback is getting to HQ at a very fast speed. This type of action is what heads off recalls before they get out of control and people suffer. So, I see it as a positive for GM.

No doubt Mary Barra has changed the culture at GM QA

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
This isn't just tied to GM the fact is that every automaker is
pushing the vendors that supply parts to the absolute edge to
cut costs and the result of it is defective and faulty parts in increasingly huge numbers which of course leads to recalls and
TSBs.

Personally I wouldn't even bother buying ANY new car today, they are too complicated, and expensive in the first place, and then you have this extreme cost cutting and you have a guaranteed recipe for disaster. The entire auto industry is shooting itself in the foot, but being as arrogant as they are they will end up cutting their nose off despite themselves. LOL

I agree. Too much cost costing to squeeze out the extra penny.. Its the same with everything today, cars, personal appliances etc. Just throw it away society. My cuisinart coffee maker just died after 6-7 years of use..but the idea of tossing it out kills me. Sorry for going off topic..

You ascert a very questionable point that has nothing to do with the Corvettes at issue.
The Japanese taught the world a few decades ago that quality is cheaper since it brings lower assembly labor requirements as well as savings on warranty claims. They also showed that a collaborative relationship with suppliers brought lower parts costs. Squeezing suppliers is an old-school approach that not too many manufacturers practice these days.
The cars in question have two potential assembly errors having nothing to do with supplier parts anyway, nor do they involve anything that could be described as complex unless compared to Fred Flintstone's ride.
Both are fairly minor, since most drivers never use the parking brake unless parking on a steep grade (I don't) and most drivers don't crash their cars (I don't do that either), so a missing airbag attachment clip is an irrelevance.
Kudos to GM for having stopped sales to fix these two little problems before having to ask owners to bring their new cars in for a recall repair.
GM has apparently learned that it's better to own up and take resposibility than it is to ignore problems or defer fixing them.
I hope that the dealers with these cars in their inventories will get a rebate on floor planning them for whatever time is involved in fixing them.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: dave1251
It is never good PR when a flagship model has its sales halted due to poor Q.C.

Yeah, however the flip side of this coin is that quality problem feedback is getting to HQ at a very fast speed. This type of action is what heads off recalls before they get out of control and people suffer. So, I see it as a positive for GM.

No doubt Mary Barra has changed the culture at GM QA

I would say the lawsuits over the faulty ignition switch are changing the culture at GM. Mary Barra is reacting as any CEO would.

I thought all this was solved when the government took over and Nancy Pelosi announced the GM would stop making cars that people wanted like the then brand new Camaro and start making cars people needed like the Volt. If GM would only have followed the advice of an industry expert like Pelosi there would be no Corvette to cause these problems (lol).

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I thought all this was solved when the government took over and Nancy Pelosi announced the GM would stop making cars that people wanted like the then brand new Camaro and start making cars people needed like the Volt. If GM would only have followed the advice of an industry expert like Pelosi there would be no Corvette to cause these problems (lol).

If you weren't so biased, you'd check your "facts". Simple to do eg from wikipedia:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia Chevy Volt History
The Chevrolet Volt concept car debuted at the January 2007 North American International Auto Show, becoming the first-ever series plug-in hybrid concept car shown by a major car manufacturer.

Then General Motors' Vice Chairman Robert Lutz said the two-seater sports car being developed by Tesla, the Tesla Roadster, and the rapid advancement of lithium-ion battery technology inspired him to push the carmaker to develop the Volt after the 2006 Detroit Auto Show

The production design model officially unveiled on September 16, 2008.

And the timing of financial assistance after that date:

Originally Posted By: Wikipedia GM Chapter 11 reorganization
On November 7, 2008 General Motors reported it had projected it would run out of cash around mid-2009 without a combination of government funding, a merger, or sales of assets. Ten days later General Motors representatives, along with executives from Ford and Chrysler testified about their need for financial aid at a Congressional hearing in Washington D.C. All three companies were unsuccessful in their attempts to obtain legislation to authorize U.S. government aid, and were invited to draft a new action plan for the sustainability of the industry. On December 2, 2008, General Motors submitted its "Restructuring Plan for Long-Term Viability" to the Senate Banking Committee and House of Representatives Financial Services Committee. Congress declined to act, but in December 2008 the Bush administration provided a "bridge loan" to General Motors with the requirement of a revised business plan. It said it needed $4.6 billion in loans within weeks, from the $18 billion it had already requested, and an additional $12 billion in financial support in order to stave off bankruptcy. On Feb. 26, 2009, General Motors announced that its cash reserves were down to $14 billion at the end of 2008. G.M. lost $30.9 billion, or $53.32 a share, in 2008 and spent $19.2 billion of its cash reserves. Mr. Wagoner met with President Obama’s auto task force, and the company said that it could not survive much longer without additional government loans.
On the March 30, 2009 deadline President Barack Obama declined to provide financial aid to General Motors, and requested that General Motors produce credible plans, saying that the company's proposals had avoided tough decisions, and that Chapter 11 bankruptcy appeared the most promising way to reduce its debts, by allowing the courts to compel bondholders and trade unions into settlements. GM Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner was also forced to resign. GM bondholders rejected the government's first offer, but the unions agreed to the preferential terms. A bondholder debt to equity counteroffer was ignored.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

If you weren't so biased, you'd check your "facts". Simple to do eg from wikipedia:

Sorry, I was at the Moscone Center in San Francisco when she made that statement at a fund raising event for a group of some kind or other. I was next door at a computer conference. After reading your post I checked with myself and my wife and confirmed that I was there. I also asked my wife if she remembered Pelosi's statement and without prompting as to the content and she remembered it, as well. There's no bias on my part. I'm not an automotive industry expert, I'm not a politician and I don't work for GM. I also believe that people can choose what they want to purchase without her help or that of the government. That's what caught my attention when she spoke. I understand that she's more important than me but I will also continue to make my choices without her advice and consent. The media picks and chooses and writes stories. There's more to life than that for some people.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Hey, GM, Stop the silliness and bring back the TrailBlazer with the 5.3L V8.

Too bad they won't bring it back to the US. The 2014 Trailblazer is pretty sweet looking, just not sold in the US unfortunately.

Are you writing about the same GM and the same American government that we all know about?

GM without the Corvette is like Brooklyn Decker without her chest. You gotta have something spicy to make make consumers interested in the rest you have to offer.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
GM without the Corvette is like Brooklyn Decker without her chest. You gotta have something spicy to make make consumers interested in the rest you have to offer.

I had to look that up (Brooklyn Decker isn't a common name to me)...not being trusting of everything I read at first glance, I had to look that up a number of times to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back