GM Spending Big Money on EV Production Plants

In the last 19 months, GM has committed to invest more than $4.5 billion at three US manufacturing sites to prepare those facilities for EV-related vehicle production.

$2 billion will be invested in Spring Hill Manufacturing to build fully electric vehicles including the luxury Cadillac LYRIQ. Through this investment, Spring Hill’s paint and body shops will undergo major expansions and the general assembly will receive comprehensive upgrades, including new machines, conveyors, controls and tooling. The renovation work in Spring Hill will begin immediately.

In January, GM announced it was investing $2.2 billion at its Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly, now known as Factory ZERO, Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Center. Production of the first all-electric GMC HUMMER EV pickup, the first of a variety of all-electric trucks and SUVs to be built at GM’s Factory ZERO plant, will begin in late 2021. This will be followed soon after by the Cruise Origin, a purpose-built electric, self-driving vehicle.

Separately, GM and LG Chem formed a joint venture—Ultium Cells LLC—and together are investing more than $2.3 billion to build a new, state-of-the-art battery cell manufacturing plant in Lordstown, Ohio. Construction of the facility is well underway. The new battery cell manufacturing plant will play a critical role in GM’s commitment to an all-electric future.

I expect they feel a huge influx of government spending for EV's should the green new deal people be in power.

Infrastructure is key. The world wants EVs. America can lead the way or let someone else have it.

There is certainly a place for it but a long way to go before it's mainstream embraced. Instability in cities sure doesn't help. Me personally I'd like to see the ethanol subsidies decrease and personal tax credits to those purchasing a EV or a hybrid meeting a certain spec realized. Larger holding in urban areas spreading outward with the necessary infrastructure and increasingly viable technology to the rural areas would be a great way to grow the EV world.

I'm in an almost exclusively democratically run state where the environment is often at the forefront of all issues. Yet I've seen nothing but local, county, and state government failure on actual action. My own city had an opportunity to have free conversion of DPW trucks (anything a pickup and bigger) to NG from a recycler who was recycling old oil filters and coolant on a previous garbage dump site. The location was very close to a sewage treatment facility he could readily tie into. Not sure of the tech behind that. They failed to get anything done. This would have been the only NG filling site in Westchester County north of White Plains.

I mention democratically controlled state only to emphasize their failure on what they claim is their issue, dooms any following by the other party....Don't they all SUX!!!

When EV's become significantly less expensive from cradle to grave then the American motoring public may embrace it. As long as the costs are higher for EV's or even close, they don't stand a chance.

Next is the convenience factor, personally I would like to not have to stop at a gas station. Plugging in at home would be nice, but I foresee difficulty if you are going on a long trip and you need to charge and the only 2 chargers for the next 100 miles are occupied. Now you have to wait 30 minutes for those cars to charge up then another 30 minutes for my car. Then repeat again in 300 miles.

It's already happening. The more companies onboard, the more competition, the lower the cost will become. This engine is picking up steam with deliberate pace. (The irony of that saying, Lol)

Last edited:
Next is the convenience factor, personally I would like to not have to stop at a gas station. Plugging in at home would be nice, but I foresee difficulty if you are going on a long trip and you need to charge and the only 2 chargers for the next 100 miles are occupied. Now you have to wait 30 minutes for those cars to charge up then another 30 minutes for my car. Then repeat again in 300 miles.
Starting each day with a full tank is pretty dang cool; you have no idea until you experience it.

Infrastructure is key. That's why Musk built Tesla's SuperCharger network can continues to build it around the world! Shopping centers want chargers because it draws customers and makes them stay in the store longer, in many cases. Wally World has chargers and is building a set of Tesla chargers in our area. I understand that CA is a bubble. I can go from San Jose to San Diego with one stop at Kettleman, right off 5 just before the Grapevine. 40 chargers, I believe. Kettleman has been the "in between" rest stop for a long time which is why Tesla built there.

A 30 to 40 minute charge and back on the road. Having said this, I just went from Camp Pendleton to Los Gatos (San Jose) on with 1 quick fill up in a 2013 Civic. Hard to beat that.

Kettleman

Last edited:
Starting each day with a full tank is pretty dang cool; you have no idea until you experience it.

Infrastructure is key. That's why Musk built Tesla's SuperCharger network can continues to build it around the world! Shopping centers want chargers because it draws customers and makes them stay in the store longer, in many cases. Wally World has chargers and is building a set of Tesla chargers in our area. I understand that CA is a bubble. I can go from San Jose to San Diego with one stop at Kettleman, right off 5 just before the Grapevine. 40 chargers, I believe. Kettleman has been the "in between" rest stop for a long time which is why Tesla built there.

A 30 to 40 minute charge and back on the road. Having said this, I just went from Camp Pendleton to Los Gatos (San Jose) on with 1 quick fill up in a 2013 Civic. Hard to beat that.

Kettleman

Maybe in your area of California. I am in the crux of NY and our Wally which is less than a mile from I-84 exits and literally .1 of mile from Rt 9 has no chargers. About 500 yards away from where the big shopping network is you find (established 2019) about 8 Tesla charging stations. I don't have a horse in this race. My lens is viewing obstructionist activity. If you can't get this done in NY I shrug and wonder why there isn't more support for this. IMHO there is no reason we can't get there. It's held up by XXXX fill in the blank.

Maybe in your area of California. I am in the crux of NY and our Wally which is less than a mile from I-84 exits and literally .1 of mile from Rt 9 has no chargers. About 500 yards away from where the big shopping network is you find (established 2019) about 8 Tesla charging stations. I don't have a horse in this race. My lens is viewing obstructionist activity. If you can't get this done in NY I shrug and wonder why there isn't more support for this. IMHO there is no reason we can't get there. It's held up by XXXX fill in the blank.
Just for fun, I looked up Fishkill on the Supercharger map. Yep, different than Silicon Valley!
Maybe I'll call that whack Elon and get him moving!
Fishkill, NY

Just for fun, I looked up Fishkill on the Supercharger map. Yep, different than Silicon Valley!
Maybe I'll call that whack Elon and get him moving!
Fishkill, NY

That crazy Elon is the one who put a 8 charger station in. My point is simply that there is a lot of yapping from government but no real support in my area. And he is a wacky guy but it takes a nut to do what he is doing.

I travel a lot to the "motherland" which for me is New England. I built my home off the Taconic Parkway in very close proximity to I-84. I am also less than 20 miles form I-87. Perfect for a guy who travels north to New England and the Adirondack's (Quebec as well) and south to NYC. The lack of EV infrastructure is a case study in the politics suppressing it and the lack of the environmental groups opposition blows my mind. I'm not far from the "RiverKeeper" groups. Please, someone show me the way how this is not big politics making these decisions. There is no reason not to have the infrastructure by me or at least a little south in Westchester which is IIRC one of the top 10 wealthiest and liberal counties in the USA.

hmmm GM is 126 Billion in debt now and incurring more debt to build a car that is how profitable?

Can they make money on these cars ?

Amazing for a company that was allowed to flush its investors in BK in 2010 and start over with its assets in place.

hmmm GM is 126 Billion in debt now and incurring more debt to build a car that is how profitable?

Amazing for a company that was allowed to flush its investors in BK in 2010 and start over with its assets in place.

They won't go "ballz deep" so to speak without government subsidy. Frankly none of the Big 3 will. MHO anyway.

Big price, low range. Can't fit in the garage. The cheapest one costs more than the most expensive (and ugly) Cybertruck.
And gets far less range. I have to wonder who the target market is?
Crabwalk? Who uses that?

For my EV truck $$, gimme a Rivian or maybe F-150.
But I'll stick to the old Tundra for now.

New fangled tech coming...BITOGers beware!

I drove 800 miles today, PBI to SAV then SAV to PBI, all of which was at high speed. Let's see that "newfangled tech" do that on with just one quick stop for gas, er, energy.

I keep seeing people comparing the move to EV's to the switch from steam locomotives (ancient tech) to modern diesel locomotives. But that move changed the 5% efficiency of the steam powered engine to the 35% efficiency of diesel power.

EV's are at best, 29% efficient from power plant to wheel. While modern hybrid cars are 36%. That is not a step in the right direction, unless the EV's are powered by nukes.

The Model 3 Long range requires 4 stops, PLUS a charge at destination. Titusville, FL25 min charge, Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 40 min charge. PLUS a charge near my destination then Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 25 min charge and Titusville, FL 40 min charge.

Total Tesla trip time 15 hours! That's 5 hours more than I spent driving today. Not to mention the search for a charge port in Savannah.

Sorry, but that "newfangled" tech just does not cut it yet.

Last edited:
I drove 800 miles today, PBI to SAV then SAV to PBI, all of which was at high speed. Let's see that "newfangled tech" do that on with just one quick stop for gas, er, energy.

I keep seeing people comparing the move to EV's to the switch from steam locomotives (ancient tech) to modern diesel locomotives. But that move changed the 5% efficiency of the steam powered engine to the 35% efficiency of diesel power.

EV's are at best, 29% efficient from power plant to wheel. While modern hybrid cars are 36%. That is not a step in the right direction, unless the EV's are powered by nukes.

The Model 3 Long range requires 4 stops, PLUS a charge at destination. Titusville, FL25 min charge, Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 40 min charge. PLUS a charge near my destination then Jacksonville, FL - Gate Parkway 25 min charge and Titusville, FL 40 min charge.

Total Tesla trip time 15 hours! That's 5 hours more than I spent driving today. Not to mention the search for a charge port in Savannah.

Sorry, but that "newfangled" tech just does not cut it yet.

Some of the new Evs coming out are claiming ranges of 400 miles.
Watch out, Tesla. Rivian is gearing up to produce a sleek all-electric truck that can hit 60 mph in as little as 3.0 seconds. Depending on the battery option chosen, the R1T can travel 230 to 400-plus miles on a single charge, with prices starting in the high $60,000 range for the cheapest 105-kW-hr model. Each wheel has its own 197-hp electric motor, allowing precise torque vectoring at each wheel for increased traction. On the downside, Rivian has shown the R1T having a short bed that's just 4.6 feet long and 4.5 feet wide, and towing the max 11,000 pounds will cut the truck's all-electric driving range in half.

Exactly cujet^^^^^^^

Nothing wrong with EVs... For local or not high mileage travel...

Long travels... Will not be a strong suite for them... Ever.

Unless... Like submarine they get nuclear fuels added to them...

Back