GM SMFM vs Honda MTF II IN S2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know off hand the viscosity of both these fluids and advantages and disavantges of each?

im using GM SMFM in my 08 s2000 as of right now but idk if i should be worried about long term effects of this fluid opposed to using the honda mtf II...

lmk what you guys think thanks

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa
does anyone know off hand the viscosity of both these fluids and advantages and disavantges of each?

im using GM SMFM in my 08 s2000 as of right now but idk if i should be worried about long term effects of this fluid opposed to using the honda mtf II...

lmk what you guys think thanks

I have been using Redline MTL in my 03 s2k for over 30k miles now and it works fine, smooth shifting when cold.

The Mazda Miata 99-05 uses the same Aisin transmission as the S2000. GMSFM is too light for the specification on the Aisin. The favorite among the Miata folks is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, part number XT-M5-QS. This is true even for the guys who have tried MTL, MT90 and Amsoil GL4 lubes.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid

Ask for it by part number at a Ford Dealership, most of the parts guys have no idea they have it.

Last edited:
I'd like to know the answer for this as well. The Acura car club people seem to love GMSMFM but I'm worried about long term effects.

Hows Amsoil Synchromesh?

BTW this is for my Acura TL in sig which has the 3rd gear crunch/pop out issue some times.

One of the thinnest syncromesh fluids you'll ever use is Honda MTF II ... it's nearly ATF-thin. Some numbers:

Honda MTF II 7.5
GM Syncromesh ~9.0
Amsoil MTF 9.6
Red Line MTL 10.6
Honda MTF I 10-11

I'm using MTF II in my 2005 S2000 ... shifts really well as long as you are patient with your throws.

I'm using Amsoil MTF in my Civic. While not quite "brilliant" at first, it has held up really well and shifting has improved the last couple of years. I'll probably switch the S2000 over to this stuff in a couple years.

Originally Posted By: cheetahdriver
The Mazda Miata 99-05 uses the same Aisin transmission as the S2000. GMSFM is too light for the specification on the Aisin. The favorite among the Miata folks is Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid, part number XT-M5-QS. This is true even for the guys who have tried MTL, MT90 and Amsoil GL4 lubes.

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid

Ask for it by part number at a Ford Dealership, most of the parts guys have no idea they have it.

like what said above the GM SMFM is a lil heavier then the stock MTF II...

dont forget the s2000 trans also have an internal oil pump, i dont think using a thick fluid would be so good either ya know

Last edited:
i know honda went a little lighter on viscosity to improve shift feel with MTF II but i dont feel theres enough protection on the trans but who makes the honda MTF and also does anyone know who actually makes GMSMFM? i know that pennzoil makes the reg gmsm, but who makes the friction modified fluid?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
One of the thinnest syncromesh fluids you'll ever use is Honda MTF II ... it's nearly ATF-thin. Some numbers:

Honda MTF II 7.5
GM Syncromesh ~9.0
Amsoil MTF 9.6
Red Line MTL 10.6
Honda MTF I 10-11

I'm using MTF II in my 2005 S2000 ... shifts really well as long as you are patient with your throws.

I'm using Amsoil MTF in my Civic. While not quite "brilliant" at first, it has held up really well and shifting has improved the last couple of years. I'll probably switch the S2000 over to this stuff in a couple years.

My experience using Amsoil MTF in my '92 Civic hatch is similar. I'm sold on it. Not as great in 'shift quality' right after the fluid change, but it stays 'very good' for a longer time than the Honda Genuine fluid. Do their Friction Modifiers wear out in the HG stuff???

I have tried several fluids over the years in my 2004 AP2.

Honda MTF and MTF II, GMSMFM, Amsoil MTF/MTG blend, Schaeffers #703 10W-30, and Amsoil MTF.

This is a very subjective choice IMO, because there were pro's and con's to each for me. My summer tires limit me to only fair weather warm temperature driving, so my needs might be different than yours. If you're interested in the GMSMFM, then try it. I did and liked it, but the shift quality seemd to decline after a few thousand miles. For me, the same thing could be said for Honda MTF II. I did a VOA and UOA and posted it on BITOG, if you want to do a search.

Right now I'm using Amsoil MTF and like it. It takes a little while to warm up (they all do), but seems flawless when hot. I'll do a UOA when it's toast.

Good luck with your search and enjoy your car.

^I'm still following your experience with Amsoil MTF, just had the clutch done on my 92 hatchback and it was refilled with Honda Genuine Type-II. Shifting is okay for now, but once it starts getting annoying or more notchy I'll go back to Amsoil MTF. Seems to really need the FMs to last with the synchros worn on this app...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back