GM Performance Parts Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been posted before?

Below (from the GM Performance Parts website) is an interesting question and answer from the FAQs regarding their Performance Parts engines:

7.) Can I use synthetic oil during break in of my new engine?
No, Petroleum based engine oil should always be used during the engine break-in period.

I found it interesting that GMPP says dino should always be used for break-in of their new Performance Parts engines, but GM makes no such recommendation for their regular production engines. Some of GM’s regular production engines are even filled with synthetic at the factory.

Did you actualy speak to someone at GMPP? If so who was it? I know most of the guys at GMPP personely both ontract workers and actual GM employee's. The people most often contacted by the general publicand dealerships concerning GMPP are great guys but they also give out some out dated advice. Notice I did not say bad advice as I have never known them to do that at all but when it came to oil they really were not in the "know" if you know what I mean.

Did you actualy speak to someone at GMPP? If so who was it? I know most of the guys at GMPP personely both contract workers and actual GM employee's. The people most often contacted by the general publicand dealerships concerning GMPP are great guys but they also give out some out dated advice. Notice I did not say bad advice as I have never known them to do that at all but when it came to oil they really were not in the "know" if you know what I mean.

I think there 'may' be a difference based on expectations.

As I understand a new vehicle with synth factory fill can have an engine machined for synth and possible factory break-in.

This is a performance parts site giving a general answer to 'new' engine that may include new crate, field machined, and/or high performance cams/springs.

Besides, is doing a run with dino really gonna hurt ?

It certainly could if 'proper' breakin process is not done. But this is is a one line answer, consult your engine builder and the supplier of the parts. If doing yourself, it's your engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back