GM OLM (too) aggressive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a VERY hard time believing that GM would program the OLM so the vehicle will reach only 100k miles.

One of their BIG advertising statements in the last few years is about how something like 90% of GM/Chevy trucks sold over the last 10 years are still on the road. This would not be achieved by having a planned engine life of 100k miles.

You're entitled to do whatever makes you sleep well at night for vehicle maintenance; but making these kind of statements makes you look a bit silly.

Quote:
I also assume that is is programmed with the assumption of a vehicle life span of only 100,000 miles.

Read it again. Nothing said about Chevrolet having a planned engine life of 100,000 miles. Please feel free to Google and Yahoo and read how Chevrolet brags about,"lowest operating costs over 100,000 miles of operation." I did not notice anything about lowest, or any, operating costs over 200,000, 300,000 or whatever.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4
I have an 08 Silverado I bought on April 4, 2008. I changed out the factory oil and filter, changed at 500 miles, changed at 2000 miles, and changed at 5000 miles. I used Mobil 1 synthetic and a Wix 51036 filter. The truck now has 6384 miles on it. I never reset the OLM just to see what it would say. It says I still have 32% oil life left. The OLM does not know or does not consider the time the oil is in use, does not know the HTHS or the 100C cSt of the oil in use, does not know the group of the base oil. I am assuming that it assumes a 30 grade(anywhere from 9.3 to 12.5 100C cSt and HTHS of no more than 3.2) GP II conventional oil. I also assume that is is programmed with the assumption of a vehicle life span of only 100,000 miles.

I, JUST ME, YOURS TRULY, FRANKN4, NO ARGUEMENTS, would never consider the OLM. Oil is cheep, engines are expensive, I can find the time to change.

The truck is driven on winding, twisting, mountainous back roads about 15%, open highway about 75%, and town/city about 10%.

thumbsup2.gif

As long as there is TBN and the visc is in check the oil would be fine. Its setup for Cheap dino, yes. Mobil 1 would have no problem running the whole time on the OLM. Although I would change early the first couple times on a new vehicle.
Of course my UOA could come back bad and Ill eat my words, but I have confidence in it.
Oh, even though it does not track time, I believe it is in the owners manual to change after a year no matter what the OLM says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back