GM Oil Life Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:
SSD the OLM takes a lot more into account than just mileage or fuel use. I believe using the OLM would be preferable to a strict time or mileage based oil change interval.

Now whether you feel comfortable using up 100% of the Oil Life using the specified oil without UOA backup is another matter.

Some people have proven that with high quality synthetics they can go 2x OLM recommended OCI if it is calibrated for Dino.

Gene

My car indicated that the oil should be changed after 1,500 mile. I ignored it and ran the oil for another 1,500. The UOA from Blackstone showed that there was still plenty of like left in the oil.

I go by my OLM now (2000 Monte Carlo). Up until 69k miles I was a 3k changer. I wouldn't feel comfortable using dino with the OLM. Only top-shelf synthetics for me (M1 or GC).

I wait for the oil life monitor to come on on the '04 Chevy Express 3500 van I have. It has the 6.0L in it.
The truck is 85% highway and always comes on every 14k-16k km's between changes. I use Mobil 1 10w-30 since new and the truck has 61,000 km's on it so far.

quote:

Originally posted by Tommy2:
I wait for the oil life monitor to come on on the '04 Chevy Express 3500 van I have. It has the 6.0L in it.
The truck is 85% highway and always comes on every 14k-16k km's between changes. I use Mobil 1 10w-30 since new and the truck has 61,000 km's on it so far.

Good plan, but have you considered a 0W-30 if the Winter is going to be punishing??

I have the Oil Life Monitor on our 2002 Olds Silhoette. Recently I changed the oil when it said that 20% of the usefull life was remaining. At least with the Pennzoil Synthetic I had in the vehicle I believe the monitor. You can see the recent UOA for this at:

2002 Olds 5,275 Mile UOA

John

I kinda use it. It's nice to have the automatic correction for the type of driving done. I use EFILive to read the % oli-life remaining (variable name OILLIFE). When it hits about 50%, then I change the oil and reset the counter. That way I can take some advantage if I put lots of highway miles on, but without going to the very high limits. Of course, this is easier with the PC I have permanently installed in the truck.

Note:

Some extended warranties require changes at 3000 miles with receipts to prove it. If you have one check the fine print before setting a different limit.

I have it in my '97 GTP and once it hit's 25% I change oil (M1 10W-30).

Does anyone have the algorithm the oil life monitor uses?? I would imagine it's based on mileage and # of starts.

What other inputs does it look at? (ie time, temperature, rpm, etc)

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:

Does anyone have the algorithm the oil life monitor uses?? I would imagine it's based on mileage and # of starts.

I know that RPM is a huge factor in the algorithm, because some of the Corvette guys who drive extremely hard (road racing guys) report their oil life monitor can be down to zero in around 3000 miles!

I follow the OLM for both of my car . A century and a Montana 2002.I use dino or blend and so far I never "overworked" the oil, this is supported by a few UOA.

Much more reliable in my opinion than the old 3000 miles routine where one is driving the pedal to the metal and the other like grand-ma !!!

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by davefr:

I know that RPM is a huge factor in the algorithm, because some of the Corvette guys who drive extremely hard (road racing guys) report their oil life monitor can be down to zero in around 3000 miles!

Since GM uses a "penalty" algorithm to assume oil degredation rpm and temperature are big factors. Does anyone know how the temp. is actually monitored?? Is the oil temp monitored with a sensor or coolant only or block??
dunno.gif

Obviously the 'putor also knows the ambient temp also. This makes it easy to figure cold starts.

Just wonder if oil temp. is actually measured or calculated based on ambient and coolant temp plus rpm.

[ January 15, 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

GM product: 2001 Corvette Z06.

Great posting by the way! (avalanche fan club)When the Z06 was new, it took a lot more research to ferret out the DIC oil monitoring parameters.

Oil and PF-44 oil filters are usually done between 14,500-15,000 miles but verified by the DIC. (on board- button accessed- Driver Information Center)

Factory recommendations are 15,000 miles max and or 1 year.

Factory recommendations and fill is Mobil One 5w30. I have continued to use Mobil One 5w30. The odometer approaches 68,000 miles.

(I have been using Mobil One 5w30 in Toyota Landcrusers with 15k intervals for app 650k miles prior. So not only do I like the brand, but have had good history with it. For me it is almost a no brainer to continue use. I also do not have to stock as many different brands or viscosities, i.e. just stock the next oil change!!! )

Two off topic. Outside of a break in oil and filter change at 1,600 miles.
(totally unnecessary but probably an old school habit)

I have changed oil 4 times.

I just had to get a new battery :OT:I am used to batteries crapping out at app the 10 year mark!
grin.gif

[ January 15, 2005, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

quote:

I just had to get a new battery :OT:I am used to batteries crapping out at app the 10 year mark!

The stock battery in the Corvette sucks! I hope you went with something like the Optima. I'll be getting one for my Corvette this year for sure. A lot of guys have reported their stock battery leaked acid, which in turn then gets all over the ECM!

quote:

Originally posted by cit1991:
I use EFILive to read the % oli-life remaining (variable name OILLIFE).

Does this work even if the GM vehicle doesn't have an oil life monitor installed? Is it built into the powertrain control module?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
The stock battery in the Corvette sucks! I hope you went with something like the Optima. I'll be getting one for my Corvette this year for sure. A lot of guys have reported their stock battery leaked acid, which in turn then gets all over the ECM!

The Corvette forum people have lot of trouble with Optimas.

My 2004 Trailblazer EXT (6 cyl) has one....... this is my first new vehicle in 13 years so this is a new concept to me! I don't plan to rely on it at all..... maybe I'm wrong on this. I dumped the factory oil at 500 miles... ran Havoline 10W30 Dino for the next 1500 miles (summer in Kansas) then switched to M1 5W30 this fall. I put in the 5 Qt. jug of M1 and finished the fill with 2 Qts of Havoline 5W30. Plan on doing this same fill with 5Qts/2 Qts every 4000 miles from here on out. (It'll be a little easier to afford the 'ole M1 now that I have several "Cool Cars" coupons!) BTW, I use a M1 filter or a PureOne. I put 5W30 in for the COLD season here, and 10W30 for the HOT season here! It'll be interesting to see when my oil light ever comes on. 4000 mile OCI might be a little overkill....... but.......... what the heck.... It's a relaxing evening for me to grab a couple cold ones and change oil in one of my vehicles..... Ya know?!

JP

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
How many on this board have newer GM vehicles with the oil life moniter?

How many still change oil at 3000 miles?

How many wait for the light to come on?

I myself use MobilOne and wait for the light on my 03 GMC sierra with 5.3

I have an '04 Avalanche with the same engine. I don't wait for the oil monitor. Rather, I change every 3K using Kendall synthetic.

I am currently in the first of a two phase UOA (3K miles with this oil and K&N oil filter; second phase is same oil with Napa Gold) so we will see.

Best of luck.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

No offense, but you are wasting oil changing at 3000 miles ESPECIALLY in California.

2004 Silverado with 4.8 engine and auto tranny.

Sadly, forced to drive many short drives. At least every 2 to 3 weeks I take the critter out for a 20 to 20 mile drive to hopefully remove some of the built-up contaminants in the oil.

But....... I ignore the oil monitor critter. Depending upon my gut feeling as to my recent driving types I change every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. I refuse to go past 5k miles before changing. Dino in the warm months and Mobil 1 for winter. AC Delco filters.

Maybe it's overkill but I have no dependents to feed so can spare a few bucks to perhaps assist the conveyance in reaching the hoped-for 20 year or more lifespan.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

quote:

Originally posted by cit1991:
I use EFILive to read the % oli-life remaining (variable name OILLIFE).

Does this work even if the GM vehicle doesn't have an oil life monitor installed? Is it built into the powertrain control module?

Not sure. The computer has to be doing the math as you drive, and if it did, I'd assume they have the light. Hook up EFI Live, and see if can find the OILLIFE tag.

2004 5.3L with 13K miles. I have been using Castrol GTX 5W-30 w/a PF 46 ACDelco filter and changing it every 3000 miles. I reset the OCI light with each oil change.

I plan to do a UOA on my next oil change (this weekend or next) and switch to MC 5W-30 blend. I bought several of those Pep Boy calendars and have considered switching over to M1 and letting it ride for 5000-7500 miles....but I haven't made up my mind about that yet. I drive this vehicle for work and just can't make myself leave an oil in the engine for over 5000 miles.

I just put M1 in my wife's 100K Expedition 5.4L and it runs great in stop-and-go driving. I will probably break-down and change it after 4000 miles....old habits are hard to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back