GM oil life monitor works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaah, well then it is set up differently.

The saab monitor is a time and engine operation parametric meter. I have to doubtthat yours is purely a mileage countdown, butif it is, then it is different from the saab one, which deducts oil quality at different rates depending upn different operating conditions.

JMH

man...that is the one thing that GM has done right and Toyota has screwed the pooch on...the OLM.
And the bottom of the barrel Cobalt I rented recently had the OLM AND a real time MPG display (in addition to coolant temp and a number of other things).

What a savings in resources! Just think, thousands, hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of people, NOT dumping perfectly good oil into (hopefully) the recycling system. AND, hopefully leaving their computers set to MPG so that they are mindful of their driving habits...

Talk about green with envy...oh Toyota...

My company car (2005 Grand Prix) has an OLM that, at first, I ridiculed. Not any more. I'd love to have that same OLM in my Infiniti and Toyota.

Granted, UOAs would follow oil changes when the OLM indicated 25%, but their system seems fairly sophisticated and head and shoulders above others that are merely "mileage reminders."

quote:

Originally posted by GarrettSocling:
man...that is the one thing that GM has done right and Toyota has screwed the pooch on...the OLM.
And the bottom of the barrel Cobalt I rented recently had the OLM AND a real time MPG display (in addition to coolant temp and a number of other things).

What a savings in resources! Just think, thousands, hundreds of thousands, potentially millions of people, NOT dumping perfectly good oil into (hopefully) the recycling system. AND, hopefully leaving their computers set to MPG so that they are mindful of their driving habits...

Talk about green with envy...oh Toyota...

I don't own a GM, however it does sound as if they've done a great job with the oil life monitor. Gotta give them credit where due-when they put their minds to something they can come up with good technology.

aaah, got it. Nice system
wink.gif

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
The saab monitor is a time and engine operation parametric meter. I have to doubtthat yours is purely a mileage countdown, butif it is, then it is different from the saab one, which deducts oil quality at different rates depending upn different operating conditions.

JMH

Then the Opel and Saab system is more or less equal. Difference is that the "oil life" is given as a countdown in kilometers and not in %.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back