GM oil life monitor observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in a co-worker's car last week, a one year old Park Avenue. I noticed the oil life monitor was on the display and read 0. I asked her if the monitor had not been reset after an oil change and she said no that it had just hit zero.

From what I recall, the manual says to change the oil within 2 gas fill ups after the oil life monitor reads zero. Correct? Or does it say change oil withing two fill-ups of some other percentage? 40% maybe?

In any event, she said that her husband said to pay no attention to the monitor. He told her it could go a while after it reached zero before changing oil.

I would guess that he's using a mileage interval of 5-7,500 before having oil changes done. She didn't know. I guess she puts about 12,000 miles per year on a car. She only keeps a car 2-3 years before getting a new one.

The Oil Life Monitor on my Avalanche usually tells me to change at about 9,500 to 10,000 miles.
It's calculations are based on Dino SL oil, so if you were using Synthetic, I expect you could go quite a bit longer... I don't.

GM manual also cautions that the monitor doesn't detect dust in the oil. 3K in dusty coditions.

Also, Never exceed 7,500 mi. (based on SL starburst oil). (2000 Buicks)

These cars are very easy on oil, but the tiny PF-47 AC-Delco filter doesn't seem to keep the insolubles down well enough to extend drains. Even with syn a better filter is needed. I'm gonna see if the Amsoil or Wix filters will help.

[ June 28, 2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
the tiny PF-47 AC-Delco filter doesn't seem to keep the insolubles down well enough to extend drains. Even with syn a better filter is needed.

How about trying the AC-Delco PF-52 (or equiv)? It's identical to the PF-47, but about 2 inches longer...I've used one on my 2001 GMC Safari since it's first oil change, and it makes me a lot more comfortable running a 5,000-mile OCI on dino...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back