GM Oil Life Monitor - Discuss and Compare Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 GMC Terrain SLE 2.4L w/Ecotec engine. I'm interested to see what sort of rate per 100% OLM others are getting since the software update.

Quick vheicle history. I had the fuel pump replaced in 2011 at around 42K. I did'nt really trust the OLM at that time and had gotton used to chaning oil around 5K. So I continued to do so with this car. It did'nt really matter however because the fuel diluting the oil for 20K or more miles caused enough damage to eventually require the engine to be replavce around 74K last October.

After the new engine was replaced I took it back to the dealer at 3K for an oil change. They reset the OLM at that time. The next change was in July at around 7K miles on the oil and 50% life still reading.

After reading a bit more about the OLM I wanted to test how accurate it works. I went full Synthetic Pennzoil Platinum and a K&N performance filter with that OC. I checked the oil at every fillup. Over the last three months clocked 12,294 miles on the sump and changed the oil with exactly 10% still reading on the OLM. That averages out to 137 miles per 1%

After I got to around 30% left I wanted to track the rate of OLM decrease with my driving patterns.

I use my car to and from work each day which is only a 12mi commute. I leave early and come home late so I'm usually always driving 55+. I also drive to job sites on an irregular basis. Sometimes 150-300 miles in one day. Again this is mostly highway speed driving. I am a fairly non-agressive driver and I usually keep the ECO setting on all of the time.

I had a period of heavy driving in August where I averaged about 230 mi per day 95% highway. The OLM was ticking down at 149 mi per 1%. Another period in mid September I did more city driving (which is rare for me) and the rate was as low as 72 mi per 1%.

I would appreciate if anyone else has tracked (or could quickly calculate) the average miles per 1% that they have experienced. I would like to compare and disucss those results.

I also sent a sample of this sump off to Blackstone for UOA. The new engine has 24,005 miles on it since replaced. I'll post those results once I get them back.

Looking forward to the discusion.

I dont have anything scientific, but I dont use the OLM on our Uplander. After 3 months and 2500 miles of very short trips (0.5-2 miles) the OLM is saying it has 86% left. Based on that the oil could go to 13,000 miles...I dont think so.

My 2005 Uplander OLM was pretty optimistic as well. In a moment of weakness bought the "Oil change for life" at the dealer for $400. They wanted it in at 6,000 miles or 10,000 kms nevermind what the OLM said. It was typically at 25% remaining at 6,000 miles. 75% highway. Got 150,000 miles out of the van so did OK on the oil change deal.

GM's OLM is capable of counting every single crankshaft revolution.

Since we routinely run our service vans for hours sitting in a driveway this is a fantastic boon for us.

I have had vans trigger the light at as low as 4k miles and had Silverados go all the way out to 14k miles. All engines easily outlast the truck surrounding them!

It's the little DI motors that seem to have had issues. Once they are reprogrammed you can trust them. A VERY sophisticated product.

Im at 4200 Miles on my current OLM Status in my silverado, still no CHANGE ENGINE OIL message. I have already changed out the pyb with about 3500Mi and now im waiting to see how far out it brings me.. At Least theres some PU in there for the meantime

Last edited:
'13 Cruze LS (non-turbo). OLM goes to about 7,500 miles, driven 100 miles a day (M-F). mix of local stop and go and highway stretches.

My understanding the OLM has been revised to be shorter for the direct injected V-6 engines.

I use it as a guide and trust it enough to stop using mileage. However I choose my own intervals based on what I know that it doesn't, such as how dusty it is, oil type, or state of the engine. For instance, the Suburban has 75K, probably has so-so sparkplugs (fuel dilution), been run on grocery store gas, and had (resolved with Range device) lifter tick from AFM. I change at 50-40% OLM remaining.

Last edited:
On my Trailblazer I have 780 miles on the new oil and my OLM says I have 90% life left. Going by that, my PYB is expected to last 7800 miles? I don't think so. I have always, and will continue to use mileage to know when my next OC is due.

Toolaa,

I trust my GM "OLM" allot! I just use a good synthetic oil and let the monitor tell me when it's ready. Currently based on my driving habits it tells me to do my OCI's every 6K so I'm happy with that figure.

Durango

2004 Trailblazer V8 EXT about 100 miles per 1% mixed driving.
2011 Cruze turbo about 90-110 miles per 1% mixed driving.
2012 Chevrolet Malibu 3.6 DI 50 miles per 1% city, mixed, or highway driving. I've gone on vacation all highway, still 50 miles, all city still 50 miles, mixed still 50 miles. I just know I have to change the oil every 5,000 miles even though it is Dexos-spec and a 6-quart sump.

I know from experience (UOAs) with my (gone now) 2001 5.3L Suburban that the older 5.3Ls require a good oil when attempting 10K OCIs and the oil is usually spent by 10K, even using Amsoil HDD/ASL/AZO. I would not attempt beyond 10K on that motor without UOAs along the way. On the Cruze I'm a little surprised that the OLM allows such a long interval with the turbo and only a 4.25qt sump. The Malibu is a bummer with respect to the OCI being only 5K with a large 6qt sump and no turbo but I see why since I normally smell the gas in the oil by 5K.

The OLM on my Sierra ticked 0% at around 7,200miles on Delo 15w40. I drive real easy with my truck, slower than grandma. I reset the OLM and am now at 8,800 miles with OLM at 71%. I find it interesting how the OLM is draining MUCH faster after I have reset it.

So far the 5.3L has burned half a quart. So it has half a quart of new oil for some extra additive. I plan to change the oil before 10,000 miles. From my research Delo 15w40 is one stout oil and can handle extended intervals just fine.

I trust the OLM. I even find it to be lenient on the oci. People don't give today's modern oil enough credit. Even basic conventional can go a long way with a good filter (with an engine that isn't harsh on oil). IMHO

The OLM in my 2013 Silverado stood at 50% at 4K miles on the current oil change. This equates to 8K oil changes.

I think that is realistic.

I run Mobil 1 5W-30 and will be getting a UOA from Blackstone Labs with TBN, so I will see if the OLM is indeed correct.

I normally change my oil and filter every 6K miles with Mobil 1.

Here is the link to my UOA from the most recent OC at 12,319 Miles OLM reading 10% life remaining.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9lR6_sgEHpdWWJYVXVKUzZvX3M/edit?usp=sharing

I think I'm going switch to changing at 65% Oil Life for a while then run another test.

I'm tracking my current averages and for whatever reason the last few weeks I'm averaging about 80Mi per 1%. I drove 240 miles all highway from Baltimore to NJ too. I'm not sure why it's lower right now.

My '00 Silverado 5.3 liter has had the OLM (no percentages, just "change oil")go off from 4500 miles to 5500 miles. That is mostly all country highway driving with about 20 miles one way each trip. I change it about every 5,000 miles regardless of the OLM. I do the same with our "00 Impala 3800 and same with the beater '91 Camry. I used to change every 3,000 miles so the 5,000 OCI on PYB is a piece of cake. Easy to remember, no uoa's and cheap. Done.

Originally Posted By: Peted
The OLM on my Sierra ticked 0% at around 7,200miles on Delo 15w40. I drive real easy with my truck, slower than grandma. I reset the OLM and am now at 8,800 miles with OLM at 71%. I find it interesting how the OLM is draining MUCH faster after I have reset it.

So far the 5.3L has burned half a quart. So it has half a quart of new oil for some extra additive. I plan to change the oil before 10,000 miles. From my research Delo 15w40 is one stout oil and can handle extended intervals just fine.

I trust the OLM. I even find it to be lenient on the oci. People don't give today's modern oil enough credit. Even basic conventional can go a long way with a good filter (with an engine that isn't harsh on oil). IMHO

Nice to see people using 15w40

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Originally Posted By: Peted

Nice to see people using 15w40

That's what I was thinking. I thought that was quite thick for them. My uncle's '13 is at around 7300mi and I think like 5%. It's going to the dealer Tomorrow for a free oil change. I always thought they just had a set mileage that it would tell you to change the oil.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
How low (percentage remaining) does the OLM need to be, before you can reset it?

GM and most other OLM's can be reset at any time by three full presses of the accelerator pedal. Some newer models can be reset by dash or steering wheel controls also.

Our stealership will not do free services unless it is below 30%.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Ayrton
How low (percentage remaining) does the OLM need to be, before you can reset it?

GM and most other OLM's can be reset at any time by three full presses of the accelerator pedal. Some newer models can be reset by dash or steering wheel controls also.

Our stealership will not do free services unless it is below 30%.

Ok, thanks! I have it on a Saab, and the regular method to reset as explained in owners manual is to hold this "clear" button. However, it must be below a certain percentage to actually reset it. I guess I will find out eventually when it get low enough.

Perhaps, you have to wait until you get a message "due soon," or something similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back