GM OE vs. ACDelco vs. Aftermarket sway bar links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last May, I upgraded a number of suspension components on my Envoy. Namely, progressive springs, Bilstein HD shock absorbers and a Hotchkis rear stabilizer bar with front/rear Energy Suspension bushings. Whilst I was at it, I went ahead and replaced control arms/bushings, ball joints, trailer arms, sway bar links, etc. Basically everything that was part of the suspension. With the exception of ball joints, sway bar links and the bigger sway bar, everything that went on was GM OE.

It's caught my attention that a lot of the decent aftermarket offerings are pretty much on par with ACDelcos, although both the aftermarket and ACDelco components are inferior in comparison to GM's OE line. Case in point, sway bar links.

Initially, I went with Deeza sway bar links front and rear. Both sets were made in Taiwan, not Turkey. The fronts did not even fit, so I went with ACDelco professionals, which is what I could find at the time. These were made in Thailand. Approximately 10,000 miles later, I noticed the passenger side was sitting higher than the driver's side. When I looked at it, the passenger side front sway bar link popped off on the upper side. Handling, of course, was terrible to say the least. If you could drive a Scotch Brite sponge, this was it. Pulled that junk off and went with GM OE sway bar links at $110 a pop, made in Canada. Haven't a problem since, and they've been on for almost 30,000 miles. The difference? Here's the GM OE part:

4j9unc.jpg

Here's the ACDelco part:

mauhyf.jpg

Here's the Deeza part:

de6vlu.jpg

Since Moog is very popular, here's the Moog part:

2vd3zx4.jpg

I'm not a fan of serviceable suspension components, which is why I did not opt for Moog. To each, their own I support.

Notice the difference? Same holds true for the rears with very similar construction. There's been a knocking noise coming from the rear, and handling's gotten sloppy again. Turns out the links are gone. Opted for the GM OE parts - average aftermarket part seems to cost $30-$40, the OE part, made in Canada, costs $65 a pop. Problem solved, guess I learned my lesson.

Another point worth noting, the ACDelco link popped off under normal driving conditions. Two months ago, the truck was on a closed course for evasive driving, and despite extreme use (J-turns, etc.), the OE links are still good.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Is there a Mevotech part available? I like them for aftermarket suspension components. Very high quality.

Appears there is, just haven't tried them.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Interesting how the GM OE says for export only
crazy2.gif

Don't mind that. It's exactly the same part sold in the U.S. with a sticker that reads "Export Only". Had the same thing on the washer hose I bought earlier.

I usually tend to go with the Moog end links, they have full metal bearings in most cases alongside being "Problem solvers" which means they see what problems are known on end links etc. They also tend to make the links more beefy and thicker than oem. I just put some on the front and rear of my car and it feels considerably more planted than oem end links. They were definitely the weak link.

Oh and lifetime warranty when picked up at Oreilly's is hard to beat.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS

Initially, I went with Deeza sway bar links front and rear. Both sets were made in Taiwan, not Turkey. The fronts did not even fit,......

Remember when you thought that if the term "Premium" was in the description, you thought the part was made in Turkey instead of Taiwan?
Deeza appears to be more concerned with penny-pinching instead of their original quality-at-all-cost ethic. As noted, OE is the way to go, unless the OE part is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back