GM mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, for my GM people out there. If you say you want a synthetic oil change at the dealer what are u getting? Mobil1 ? Ac Delco synthetic oil? Thanks

It'll be different from dealer to dealer. For instance the Nissan dealer here uses Castrol. The Nissan dealer in my home town uses Valvoline.

It may also depend on the dealer you could be getting a cheap Dino...Thats why its important for all the States to require oil change places to list the oil brand and weight on the receipt. Not all States require this yet.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
It may also depend on the dealer you could be getting a cheap Dino...Thats why its important for all the States to require oil change places to list the oil brand and weight on the receipt. Not all States require this yet.

Why would the state have to be involved in that? Seems like the customer's responsibility to me.

Stating the provided product on an invoice is evidence. It's easier to prosecute a fraud with written evidence.

It may be the customer's responsibility to ask for a particular oil. It is then the dealer/repair shop's responsibility to provide that particular oil.

If the customer goes to the trouble to inspect for proper oil at least he'll then have sustainable claim.

"Why should the state be involved?", you ask. It's because you don't have the right to go back to the dealer/repair shop with a baseball bat and levy justus.

The state is the legitimate power wielding authority in our society.

If that doesn't jibe with your thinking I respectfully suggest you get smarter. Kira

I haven't been in a Pep Boys for twenty years but in the old days they would tell you to go pick your oil and filter and then take it to the service desk for the oil change. That was a great way to do it.

Unfortunately car owners today must get involved in the service and maintenance of their vehicles. Unfortunately there are those out there that will take advantage of you and your vehicle. You may not find out until later that you've been taken advantage of and you were not even taken to dinner and there were not flowers, not even a cheap motel room.

I work for a dealer. In our shop if you ask for synthetic you get Mobil1. I would suspect this is true at most GM dealers as Mobil1 is factory fill for most GM specialty units such as Corvette. We stock Mobil1 because we are required to do so to fulfill the requirements to service those vehicles.

Last edited:
FWIW my Motorcraft FADs that also carry ACDelco all have Mobil 1 for really cheap under their ACDelco banner. Way cheaper than if we buy it from the Zone or OReillys for a customer that requests it.

Originally Posted By: Ian1982
Just curious, for my GM people out there. If you say you want a synthetic oil change at the dealer what are u getting? Mobil1 ? Ac Delco synthetic oil? Thanks

Could be anything running the gambit from bulk, delivered by the truckload tote 5W-30 / 10W-30 dino with no ratings. To top shelf synthetic oils. Dealers have been known to cut corners, especially on an item like oil changes which are viewed as a 'loss' activity to get people in the door.

In fairness, quickie lubes and even independent garages are known to cheat. A certain brand that was well known for diesel cars apparently had dealers who couldn't even, for a while, obtain and sell the "official" oils to the public, so it was an almost certainty that they weren't using them themselves.

All depends on what the owners or buyer decides to purchase. In Michigan many ran service pro dexos blend and full syn. Penske's dealerships all run Valvoline products...as I said it just depends. My local uses delco...at least for now,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back