GM Mark of Excellence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomioka

$104 Site Donor 2024
Started seeing GM's with the "Mark of Excellence" badge needing repairs. My brother wondered what it was for and I jokingly said "It's the GM POS of Excellence badge" as I was completing a tuneup on a late 2000's Silverado. Seeing that badge after almost 10 years meant it was a dark time for GM and now they seem to be very successful.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
All vehicles eventually need repairs.....

Yup some sooner than and a lot more frequently than others.
wink.gif

It's funny, I remember when they put the badge on and that meant it was new GM, then they took it off I want to say for 2010.

So not surprising that 06-10 year vehicles need work. Anything mechanical can and will fail. Well except the Japanese stuff, apparently they go 700k miles with nothing but oil changes.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
It's funny, I remember when they put the badge on and that meant it was new GM, then they took it off I want to say for 2010.

So not surprising that 06-10 year vehicles need work. Anything mechanical can and will fail. Well except the Japanese stuff, apparently they go 700k miles with nothing but oil changes.

lol.gif

Errrrrrrrrrr our 2006 Malibu soured me on GM. It had those badges and the car was problematic since day 1. Very sloppily assembled, and engineered I assume. Took a huge Loss on it in 2007 and took another gamble on an even older Toyota (2001). The Toyota has been a delight, wish I had purchased it in the first place. The Malibu did have good interior room and fuel mileage but the rest of the car was disaster.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Started seeing GM's with the "Mark of Excellence" badge needing repairs. My brother wondered what it was for and I jokingly said "It's the GM POS of Excellence badge" as I was completing a tuneup on a late 2000's Silverado. Seeing that badge after almost 10 years meant it was a dark time for GM and now they seem to be very successful.

I drive a 2008 Silverado company truck . At 160,000 + miles , front suspension repairs have cost my boss about $ 2,500 . Otherwise , not that much .

Other than filters & spark plugs , what else can you do th that model of Chevy , for a tune up ?

Thanks , :)

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper

When I caught a glimpse of that badge when I was working on the truck it was a thought on my mind of how did the badge come and go. Found out it was a relic of old GM trying to unite it's remaining surviving brands into one.

Wikipedia has an interesting article on the badge. Don't forget to read the sources too.

Hey.... There are Japanese made cars that have gone 500k miles on the original plugs, CV axles, etc.. You just gotta see it to believe it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Hey.... There are Japanese made cars that have gone 500k miles on the original plugs, CV axles, etc.. You just gotta see it to believe it
smile.gif

I don't know about that but my Santa Fe that was Korean made and shipped over went 300K Miles (535,000km) on original everything with the exception of an alternator, starter, oxygen sensors, and brakes/tires/battery.

The GM "Mark of Excellence"?
Does that refer to the big, gold Chevy bow ties that looked goofy when new, and looked gnarly when they started to delaminate a few years later?

If anyone wants some good reading, check out on Curbside classics, GM's deadly sins.
http://www.curbsideclassic.com/cc-archives-american-brands-gm/ scroll down a bit.

I used to be diehard GM...owned nothing but GM till I got my 99 Grand Cherokee and that fixed me. Tried them one more time with an 02 Bravada but traded that in on an 05 Durango that was trouble free, unlike the Bravada. I blame it on their corporate culture. They repeat the same cycle over and over again, basically: have something good and sells well -> take that money and don't reinvest it -> have outdated cars, loose customers -> spend a ton of cash and revamp in a big way, claim it's a new GM -> sells well -> repeat.

So many years ago on a "sit down" chat show (Donahue, IIRC) there were USA car manufacturers bemoaning plummeting sales.
The host said his daughter gets great service from her Toyota with just oil changes.
"That's one problem", said one Detroit guy, "These shows become 30 minute commercials for foreign cars".

"Then make yours better", said Donahue.

So many instances of foul US made cars it isn't funny. Sad really.

The people who go to work building them know they're building junk.

i only buy pre 1995 gm products to avoid headaches.
im been with my s10 for a good number of years its been reliable but the drive train is tired i wouldn't be afraid to go any where with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back