GM Makes Buyout Offers To Buick Dealers

I am seeing a trend here. Buick is the second GM brand to make this offer.

If you have not seen it, I recommend that you watch this interview with GM VP Mark Ruess. GM is expecting their dealers to go through quite a transformation. One example is that all dealers will install and provide a network of EV chargers on site at their dealership. Some current dealerships don't have the physical real estate to do this today, and will need to acquire more space and property as well as make significant infrastructure investments.

I have to give credit to GM for planning for this transformation, both in technology and business acumen, as this business is going to change a lot in the next 5 to 10 years. I am sure not all of the present franchises will want to make the transition. The real question is, will GM keep the dealers they buyout as wholly owned subsidiaries, or try to transition them to other dealers who are committed to the future plan?

They'll probably just reduce the number of dealers :sneaky:
Slack, you are correct. I think this trend is part of their plan. I see more combining of the luxury brands (Buick, Hummer, and Cadillac). Chevrolet dealers will be allowed to stand on their own, which will be adequate with fewer model offerings. Hearing Chevy will have about 5 models including Pickup trucks, plus Corvette which makes 6.

Dealers will need special fire proof rooms to work on EV's. I would bet when a big ford dealer burned to the ground, some years ago near here, it was because of an EV.

Our GM dealership has every product line -
but I don’t see a farm & ranch community getting in a big hurry over EV …

I am seeing a trend here. Buick is the second GM brand to make this offer.

If you have not seen it, I recommend that you watch this interview with GM VP Mark Ruess. GM is expecting their dealers to go through quite a transformation. One example is that all dealers will install and provide a network of EV chargers on site at their dealership. Some current dealerships don't have the physical real estate to do this today, and will need to acquire more space and property as well as make significant infrastructure investments.

I have to give credit to GM for planning for this transformation, both in technology and business acumen, as this business is going to change a lot in the next 5 to 10 years. I am sure not all of the present franchises will want to make the transition. The real question is, will GM keep the dealers they buyout as wholly owned subsidiaries, or try to transition them to other dealers who are committed to the future plan?

“Technology & business acumen”? They are suckling taxpayer funding from the government teat, and if it weren’t feeding an artificial demand for EVs & charging stations NONE of it would be happening this way. GM either wants handouts, or else folding to government whims was part of their bailout terms from Obama.

Since Buick doesn't have a single car in thier American lineup absolutely zero loss if they slowly "kill" the brand off I personally liked the Buick car styling on some models all the way back into the 30s

To each thier own taste but the Buick Crossover/SUVs are visually pitiful

As long as electric cars continue to look like a joke they flop period .....it's going to take the styling to inspire the car people to buy in before they will sell over a ICE

Back