GM LT-8 6.6 liter Truck Engine. New for 2020.

Originally Posted by Renzo
And how is the 6L90 proven? Proven to fail around 120k miles from what I have seen.

200,000 miles on mine. YRMV.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by sw99
I'll take that Ford 7.3L any day of the week.

✅✅✅

I run Eisenhower 5-6 times a month, sometimes pulling, sometimes not. Still, unless they closed the road just for them, traffic has a big difference on how fast you can get up and over. I didn't watch the videos though so don't know if they factored it in.

This is a classic case of the old bulls vs the young bulls. I believe the test involved flooring it and let the engine decide the gearing.

In real life the young bulls would floor it up a 7% grade just to show Billy Bob who's boss. The old bulls would manually select the gear and operate near the peak torque of about 4,000 rpm. Also, instead of buying a 7.3 liter gas engine with 450 lb ft, I would buy the 6.7 turbo diesel with over a 1,000 lb ft.
lol.gif

Ford's new Godzilla engine. TFL truck keeps them at 60mph (if they can) towing 16000lb trailer up Ike's Gauntlet, regardless of gear. There was almost 3 minutes difference between the gm and ford (11.xx minutes vs 8.xx minutes). Traffic has little impact on their tests. They floor it if it drops below 60mph and back off the throttle if it goes above. The gm spent a lot of time struggling below 60, Neither engine is start/stopping while towing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buddylpal
How is start-stop girly man?

Not sure why start-stop would be considered girly man, but I would eliminate from consideration any vehicle that had a start-stop system I couldn't easily disable - and disable by a simple push button, not some multi-step process through a nav screen.

Scott

Originally Posted by Al
Is that a whole new engine?

Pretty much. It is a 6.2 stroked by 6mm, with iron block, and direct injection. No cylinder deactivation. GM put a little bit of trickery in the block design by drilling through the inter-bore regions to force additional coolant through there, improving bore shape. Still has aluminum heads. It is a replacement for the 6.0L V8 that was used in hd pickups for years. The Gen V 5.3 and 6.2 DI engines that were introduced in 2014 never made it into hd trucks, owing to their aluminum blocks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by c502cid
I run Eisenhower 5-6 times a month, sometimes pulling, sometimes not. Still, unless they closed the road just for them, traffic has a big difference on how fast you can get up and over. I didn't watch the videos though so don't know if they factored it in.

The GM truck was so slow, it was causing traffic problems. Even big rigs were pulling out to pass it.
The Ford romped up the hill so well, it was a thing of beauty. If you like hearing a V8 sing at 4000+ rpm for 8 minutes, I highly recommend the video that I linked. They actually had to back off early to slow down at the end of the run, otherwise it would have made a better time.

Originally Posted by A_Harman

The GM truck was so slow, it was causing traffic problems. Even big rigs were pulling out to pass it.
The Ford romped up the hill so well, it was a thing of beauty. If you like hearing a V8 sing at 4000+ rpm for 8 minutes, I highly recommend the video that I linked. They actually had to back off early to slow down at the end of the run, otherwise it would have made a better time.

Unfortunately for reasons unknown GM decided to handicap their brand new truck, with brand new engine, with a 3.73 rear diff and a 6 speed transmission from basically 15 years ago. No 10 speed, dashboard which appears they stole from a 89 caprice classic. One ratio option for the rear end, they really phoned it in on this release and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Also for reasons unknown, GM is allowing both dodge and Ford to make fools of them on almost every metric when it comes to trucks, which is interesting since GM seems to want to be a truck and SUV only company.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
This is a classic case of the old bulls vs the young bulls. I believe the test involved flooring it and let the engine decide the gearing.

In real life the young bulls would floor it up a 7% grade just to show Billy Bob who's boss. The old bulls would manually select the gear and operate near the peak torque of about 4,000 rpm. Also, instead of buying a 7.3 liter gas engine with 450 lb ft, I would buy the 6.7 turbo diesel with over a 1,000 lb ft.
lol.gif

Ford's betting that most people will get sticker shocked at the diesel option at $10,000, and take the big gasser option at $2000. You can burn a lot of cheap gas for $8000. And the diesel has more complex emissions systems that may prove costly down the road. Diesel fuel is about 20% more expensive than regular gas in most places that I go, and modern emissions-controlled diesels are not as fuel-efficient as the old ones. All this adds up to the expensive diesel option not paying for itself in fuel savings for people that only occasionally tow. Hot-shotters still need the diesel, but they grumble about the maintenance costs because that effects the bottom line.

Originally Posted by Tman220

Unfortunately for reasons unknown GM decided to handicap their brand new truck, with brand new engine, with a 3.73 rear diff and a 6 speed transmission from basically 15 years ago. No 10 speed, dashboard which appears they stole from a 89 caprice classic. One ratio option for the rear end, they really phoned it in on this release and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Also for reasons unknown, GM is allowing both dodge and Ford to make fools of them on almost every metric when it comes to trucks, which is interesting since GM seems to want to be a truck and SUV only company.

And then Mary Barra announced a $2.2 billion investment to build electric cars in Detroit last week. Don't expect to get rich on your GM stock in the future.

The Gen V 5.3 and 6.2 DI engines that were introduced in 2014 never made it into hd trucks, owing to their aluminum blocks.

Sounds like it will be popular with the fleets, school bus/paratransit/shuttle companies and anyone who doesn't want to fuss with a diesel, like the Ford 7.3.

GM should call it the Vortec MAX like they did some years ago.

Last edited:
Back