GM LSx Exhaust manifold clamp fix. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2001 Silverado 2WD shortbox with 114K miles. It hasn't been worked nearly as hard as yours.

I have no idea when it broke, but I haven't noticed any exhaust leak sounds.

I do appreciate the tip--didn't know this was an issue.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
2001 Silverado 2WD shortbox with 114K miles. It hasn't been worked nearly as hard as yours.

I have no idea when it broke, but I haven't noticed any exhaust leak sounds.

I do appreciate the tip--didn't know this was an issue.

For some reason it is pretty common on the trucks. I have read more about the clamps.
Lots of people have had them on for years or over 150,000 miles. Makes me reluctant to take a drill to it since my truck does one thing...Tow.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I started it up this AM cold, silent. I will keep these on until I have to pull the manifolds for anything. The were broke off below the manifold, so they will need to be drilled out. Not sure I want to mess with it right now.

Sometimes you can get lucky and a good pair of Channel Lock pliers will bite well enough to get the remnants of the bolt out.

Makes me reluctant to take a drill to it since my truck does one thing...Tow.

Not a big deal to drill, but I completely understand not wanting to tear into that thing for no more than it does...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I started it up this AM cold, silent. I will keep these on until I have to pull the manifolds for anything. The were broke off below the manifold, so they will need to be drilled out. Not sure I want to mess with it right now.

Sometimes you can get lucky and a good pair of Channel Lock pliers will bite well enough to get the remnants of the bolt out.

Makes me reluctant to take a drill to it since my truck does one thing...Tow.

Not a big deal to drill, but I completely understand not wanting to tear into that thing for no more than it does...

Maybe this winter. There is one guy who removed all his bolts and just uses the clamps on the GM board I am on...60,000 miles like that. They make them for every bolt on the manifolds.

It will be fine for camping season. Has more force than the bolts do.

I've never had to pull a cylinder head or had to drill out the bolt on a LSX, I Mig weld a 3/8" nut to the remainder of the bolt then an impact to back them out.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I've never had to pull a cylinder head or had to drill out the bolt on a LSX, I Mig weld a 3/8" nut to the remainder of the bolt then an impact to back them out.

I wish I knew how to weld. This winter I will lock at is closer.

Great pics/instructions-didn't know this product was out there
FWIW I don't think they make them for Fords---cause the whole 'darn' manifold has to be replaced when it cracks..............
Steve

Just an update.

I have to guess these were broke last season too.

Not one code. Towed over 400 miles this past trip. I averaged 10.4 mpg.

Stayed in overdrive 70 percent of the time. I had to have been down a bunch of power.
Was totally different truck not running lean because of the leaks.

Really happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back