GM LSPI test vs Ford LSPI test

So for GF6's, if the bottle says "dexos" (many have icon right on front) and carry the GF6 Service SN marking, but does not show compliance with Fords' LSPI test, is the oil valid for a "GF6 Service SN"?

...in the future GF-6 standard, though it is still awaiting ASTM’s approval of the final LSPI test method as of this writing. Products that have passed the General Motors dexos LSPI test will still be required to pass the Ford LSPI test.

From what I researched, I believe GF6 includes a Ford engine test, which is why they made that statement.
Ah, I see. So there are bottles out there (or were) with "dexos" icon listed that are not GF6 ?

Yes SN/SN+ GF-5

Although I suspect any oil that passed Dexos 1 Gen 2 could pass GF-6.

Mobil claims M1 has been able to pass SN+ criteria since 2010 and the SN+ GF-5 passed SP GF-6 with no changes.

Yes SN/SN+ GF-5

Although I suspect any oil that passed Dexos 1 Gen 2 could pass GF-6.

Mobil claims M1 has been able to pass SN+ criteria since 2010 and the SN+ GF-5 passed SP GF-6 with no changes.

D1G2 is that stringent?

D1G2 is that stringent?

It's not VW 504.00 / 507.00 stringent but in my opinion SP GF-6 is simply D1G2 Jr. From what I've read several manufacturers at ILSAC were not in favor of going that far because of the increased cost of ownership and concern over base supply.

Despite the claims of a GM money grab with Dexos what precipitated it was a unwillingness on the other manufacturers part to push for tougher standards.

Disclaimer: I do not own nor have I owned a GM product in the last decade. I did lease a Enclave for my Mom because it's what she wanted at the time.

Back